Somethin' for the missus to enjoy....

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
Name: Mike
Location: Dartmouth

Somethin' for the missus to enjoy....

Post by maglorski » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:05 am

First batch down and I'm stoked on how it turned out, now looking fwd to the next one.

What seems to be a reoccurring regarding inclusion of spouses in the hobby is doing a fruit-infused brew. I was thinking of doing the usual raspberry-wheat mix...

I'm just looking for general consensus on what type, how much and when I should be adding the raspberry.

Fresh, frozen, extract? Secondary? Bottling?

My intent is to pick up a wheat-kit (5 gals) and go from there. I'm just looking for a subtle taste...can't do the lime-a-rita esque flavouring.

I searched past discussions and unless I missed it, I didn't see any posts that answer my question.

Thx.

M.

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Somethin' for the missus to enjoy....

Post by LiverDance » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:09 am

standard for frozen raspberries is 1/2lbs/Gal to give a nice raspberry presences. They go into the secondary if you do one if not then after the primary fermentation is complete put them in
Last edited by LiverDance on Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Somethin' for the missus to enjoy....

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:09 am

raspberry vanilla cream ale is always a winner around my place...watermelon wheat is good too

I use the 3lb cans of raspberry puree from noble...one can per 5gal batch
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 116
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
Name: Mike
Location: Dartmouth

Re: Somethin' for the missus to enjoy....

Post by maglorski » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:12 am

Great thanks, done in secondary I'm assuming? For how long?

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Somethin' for the missus to enjoy....

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:14 am

maglorski wrote:Great thanks, done in secondary I'm assuming? For how long?

I add the fruit to the carboy and rack on top...10 days there works for me (making sure I have a stable gravity)
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Somethin' for the missus to enjoy....

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:25 am

Everwood cream ale makes a great base for fruit beers...as does his wheat
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests