DC brew pump
- Hobbitfu
- Verified User

- Posts: 308
- Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
- Name: Trevor Funk
- Location: Saint John, NB
DC brew pump
Has anybody used the DC powered brew pump from OBK? Looking for a small cheap pump... As long as it works.
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: DC brew pump
Had one and sold it within a couple of months. I'd recommend saving your money for a Chugger or March.
Was terrible to keep primed and was underpowered. Not much of a chance of using it for whirlpooling, etc.
Was terrible to keep primed and was underpowered. Not much of a chance of using it for whirlpooling, etc.
-
AllanMar
- Verified User

- Posts: 719
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
- Name: Allan
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: DC brew pump
Check here:
http://brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OBK sent one the club awhile back, few guys gave it a try. I think there's a few other discussions on them too.
I've never used one myself but I have 3 chuggers and would defiantly recommend them.
http://brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=4283" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OBK sent one the club awhile back, few guys gave it a try. I think there's a few other discussions on them too.
I've never used one myself but I have 3 chuggers and would defiantly recommend them.
- Hobbitfu
- Verified User

- Posts: 308
- Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
- Name: Trevor Funk
- Location: Saint John, NB
Re: DC brew pump
Was tempted by the discounted $46 price tag
but may be best to wait and get a bigger pump...
- Hobbitfu
- Verified User

- Posts: 308
- Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
- Name: Trevor Funk
- Location: Saint John, NB
Re: DC brew pump
Thanks for the replies!
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: DC brew pump
We use one for recircing through the counterflow chiller during cooldown. As long as it is primed (ie, below the liquid level), we've never had it fail.
The same goes for March pumps, by the way, they are not self-priming.
The same goes for March pumps, by the way, they are not self-priming.
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- GAM
- Verified User

- Posts: 5429
- Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
- Name: Sandy MacNeil
- Location: North End HFX
Re: DC brew pump
It has limitations but I use it and it does the job and is cheap.
S
S
- Hobbitfu
- Verified User

- Posts: 308
- Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
- Name: Trevor Funk
- Location: Saint John, NB
Re: DC brew pump
Hmm. Maybe still worth it for what I would use it for then. Cost more to get the hose and connections!
- dexter
- Verified User

- Posts: 994
- Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
- Name: Phil
- Location: Halifax
Re: DC brew pump
I've been using one for about three years, it's what it is, it works and only once have I had an issue with priming.
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: DC brew pump
We also use it for transferring mash wort to the boil kettle. Sometimes on really hoppy beers it gets clogged up but we just blow the wort back through and it's good to go again. Personally I love the little things!chalmers wrote:We use one for recircing through the counterflow chiller during cooldown. As long as it is primed (ie, below the liquid level), we've never had it fail.
The same goes for March pumps, by the way, they are not self-priming.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests