Hey guys,
Just curious, is there certain beers that are better off being bottled rather than kegged??
and IPA is great kegged, but what about a dubbel, doppelbock, etc???
JUst curious,
Cheers,
Todd
bottling vs kegging certain beers????
- mindless2
- Verified User

- Posts: 114
- Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm
- Name: Todd Payne
- Location: Quispamsis, NB
bottling vs kegging certain beers????
Now On Tap.....
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale
- Lucas
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 421
- Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am
- Name: Lucas
- Location: Winnipeg
Re: bottling vs kegging certain beers????
It seems like almost all Belgian breweries bottle condition. Dubbels, tripels, and quads, saisons, and lambics for sure. This is part of what makes a lot of these beers so good for aging. They must feel that it makes a significant difference because this means that they age them for at least a few weeks (often much longer) in their breweries, which takes up a lot of space.
I bottle all of my homebrew anyways, but I think that classic Belgian styles really benefit from the refermentation in the bottle. That being said, I have tasted some delicious kegged Belgian beer (commercial and homebrew). I wouldn't be overly surprised if some Belgian breweries use priming sugar in the keg, but I am not sure what the norm is. Perhaps if you want some of the refermentation character but you don't want to bottle you could go this route.
I bottle all of my homebrew anyways, but I think that classic Belgian styles really benefit from the refermentation in the bottle. That being said, I have tasted some delicious kegged Belgian beer (commercial and homebrew). I wouldn't be overly surprised if some Belgian breweries use priming sugar in the keg, but I am not sure what the norm is. Perhaps if you want some of the refermentation character but you don't want to bottle you could go this route.
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone
- mindless2
- Verified User

- Posts: 114
- Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:38 pm
- Name: Todd Payne
- Location: Quispamsis, NB
Re: bottling vs kegging certain beers????
Thanks for the input! My next beer is a dubbel.. (i havnt do r ome before) and I just happen to have enough grolsh bottles for a 5 gallon batch!
Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Now On Tap.....
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale
Irish Red Ale
Blonde Ale
Smoked Chili Ale
Sarsaparilla Ale
- Ruby
- Verified User

- Posts: 161
- Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:34 pm
- Name: Ruby
- Location: Halifax
Re: bottling vs kegging certain beers????
I've brewed German Weisse beers in both formats and found the bottle more enjoyable for the style. The carbonation was high, so I decided on batch 2 to bottle after 10 days in the primary. The banana and clove aromatics remained strong and you get to splash the last of the yeast in the glass to give it some extra haze.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests