Half batch RIS

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
Name: Mark Bowser
Location: Truro

Half batch RIS

Post by Bowserm » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:15 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am planning a half batch RIS within the next 3 weeks (I need to get a wheat done up for the wife first) I have all the ingredients ready but I have a question about the mashing.

I have 10 lbs of grain, so normally I would mash that with 4.5 gallons of water, lauter, then top up to get my regular 6(6.5) gallons pre-boil. With a RIS that is 9.4% with an estimated 1.091 OG, should I just mash the 10lbs of grain with 5 gallons of water, and just not sparge? That would give me a pre-boil of about 4.5 gallons, which will end up about 3.25 after boil.

Is there something that doesn't sound right? I was thinking about doing a parti-gyle using 4 gallons of sparge water for a regular stout half batch if I'm right on the no sparge.

Thanks

Mark

User avatar
Hobbitfu
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
Name: Trevor Funk
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by Hobbitfu » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:30 pm

The grain to water ratio does affect extraction of sugars by affecting the enzyme activity. Generally 1.25L per lb I think is considered standard or in your case of 10lbs - 3.3 gallons in mash followed by a sparge (even a batch sparge... What I generally do). To then end up with desired preboil volume and gravity.

User avatar
Hobbitfu
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
Name: Trevor Funk
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by Hobbitfu » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:31 pm

To put total water volume during mash may result in poor efficiency

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:00 pm

Hobbitfu wrote:To put total water volume during mash may result in poor efficiency
I've found that full-volume, no-sparge mashing does not have an effect on my mash efficiency. I've been 75-80% regardless of batch sparging or no sparging.

User avatar
Hobbitfu
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
Name: Trevor Funk
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by Hobbitfu » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:01 pm

Interesting! Never tried that way. Just what books say ;)

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by GAM » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:02 pm

Jimmy wrote:
Hobbitfu wrote:To put total water volume during mash may result in poor efficiency
I've found that full-volume, no-sparge mashing does not have an effect on my mash efficiency. I've been 75-80% regardless of batch sparging or no sparging.
Yep.

Sandy

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:05 pm

Jimmy wrote:
Hobbitfu wrote:To put total water volume during mash may result in poor efficiency
I've found that full-volume, no-sparge mashing does not have an effect on my mash efficiency. I've been 75-80% regardless of batch sparging or no sparging.
all my brews are no sparge as well. Although I do use extract with most of my bigger beers as I find dealing with that much grain is sometimes a pain in the ass.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
Name: Mark Bowser
Location: Truro

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by Bowserm » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:33 pm

LiverDance wrote:
all my brews are no sparge as well. Although I do use extract with most of my bigger beers as I find dealing with that much grain is sometimes a pain in the ass.
Can you add the extract after the boil is over and cooled? or do you need to take measurements before the boil starts, then add as needed?
Jimmy wrote:
I've found that full-volume, no-sparge mashing does not have an effect on my mash efficiency. I've been 75-80% regardless of batch sparging or no sparging.
Are you saying I should be able to mash say 90 minutes with 5 gallons and get my proper numbers to get 1.091? normally I do a 60 minute mash.

User avatar
Hobbitfu
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 pm
Name: Trevor Funk
Location: Saint John, NB

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by Hobbitfu » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:02 pm

I would think you would want to add extract toward end of boil to at least sanitize. Also will be much easier to mix in while wort is hot. Take a gravity reading toward end and calc how much extract you need to hit gravity target.

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:03 pm

Hobbitfu wrote:I would think you would want to add extract toward end of boil to at least sanitize. Also will be much easier to mix in while wort is hot. Take a gravity reading toward end and calc how much extract you need to hit gravity target.
this
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
Name: Mark Bowser
Location: Truro

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by Bowserm » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:13 am

Thanks. I'll grab some extract just in case. 1.37kg should be enough to boost right?

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Half batch RIS

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:31 am

Jimmy wrote:
Hobbitfu wrote:To put total water volume during mash may result in poor efficiency
I've found that full-volume, no-sparge mashing does not have an effect on my mash efficiency. I've been 75-80% regardless of batch sparging or no sparging.
Same here...75% Eff with full volume mash
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests