What are your thoughts/experience/preference with regards to first wort hopping?
Also has anybody here tested it out by brewing the same recipe twice, once using FWH and the other not?
First Wort Hopping
-
mthibodeau
- Verified User

- Posts: 572
- Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
- Name: Marc Thibodeau
- Location: Beaver Bank, NS
First Wort Hopping
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: First Wort Hopping
I haven't done any experiments that way, but I use it a fair bit, in most of my hoppy German ales, and sometimes my IPAs too.
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: First Wort Hopping
I don't think there is a beer I brew now that I don't FWH. Just easier for me, as I mash out I can throw it in and forget about it. One last thing to forget.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: First Wort Hopping
I FWH as well... like Keith, it's just out of convenience
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: First Wort Hopping
I've tried it - don't have a preference.
-
saosborne
- Verified User

- Posts: 134
- Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: sean osborne
- Location: Fall River
Re: First Wort Hopping
I FWH for everything now. brewed the same recipe twice don't know if it tasted any better but hop additions prior to the boil tend to equal less boil overs = less cleanup = better beer or at least less cleanup
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests