Aging Beer in a Keg

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
mackay85
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:53 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Cole Harbour, NS

Aging Beer in a Keg

Post by mackay85 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:59 pm

Hey folks, I'm trying to find out more info on aging beer in a keg. I have a kegerator that holds two 19L ball lock kegs...but I have 3 kegs available to me! So, I was thinking I would like to make a beer, throw in in the spare keg, and age it for anywhere from 2-6mths. Wondering if anyone has some tips on that. The aging beer would not be stored in a fridge.

Also, what are the pros / cons to aging with co2 as opposed to bottling sugar...other than the expected increased sediment? If I go the route of co2, is there a guideline to follow as to how much co2 to add? The beers I am typically making are IPA's, Pale Ales, etc.

Anyone have some great experiences with aging in a keg, and can share some do's / don'ts?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
:cheers2:

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: sean osborne
Location: Fall River

Re: Aging Beer in a Keg

Post by saosborne » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:13 pm

A keg is essentially just a giant bottle. I normally do 2 weeks in primary then throw it into a keg purged with co2, seal it, hit it with pressure and check for leaks. you do end up with a bit of sediment this way but after a pint or 2 its usually crystal clear. I dont alway prime with sugar will if i know im leaving it sit for a while.i personally think bottle conditioned tastes better. the only disadvantage to keg conditioning is the extra sediment (minor) and the wait. If i do keg condition i use about 1/3 of what i would to bottle condition. you can always add co2 later on. as for storing the biggest thing is constant temp. mine sit in the basement till im ready for them very little temp variation there. If you chill the beer you need to keep it chilled. yo-yoing temps can add off flavors to a good beer pretty quickly, at least thats what ive found.keg conditioning is a great way to keep beer constantly on tap, you kick a keg all you need to do is chill and serve. like aging any beer, the beer changes, a good thing for barley wines, not so good for IPAs.

thats my 2 cents

User avatar
mstead
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 215
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
Name: Mike Stead
Location: Enfield, NS

Re: Aging Beer in a Keg

Post by mstead » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:48 pm

Agreed. I'd use sugar if I knew it would sit over a month or 2. It is amazing how much beer can change over time. Depending on style it can be good or bad. Drink up your ipas as soon as possible to maximize hop aroma and flavor enjoyment. Just drink more and you won't have to store as long. Lol

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Aging Beer in a Keg

Post by McGruff » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:52 am

I have limited keg space and I just go ahead and bottle it. I brew 10 gallons and bottle half. This time of year I brew more than in the winter because of demand, so in the bottles they go.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests