Genuinely stupid move here...
-
maestro
- Registered User

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 pm
- Name: Nick
Genuinely stupid move here...
I did something so genuinely stupid even my wife laughed at me and she has no idea how to brew.
After giving it a few extra days, it still bothered me. So, in a moment of "high intelligence" I decided to rack it again. It was only the other day when I realized what I just did. I now have a clear batch of pislner sitting here and I'm planning on bottling this weekend. I use primming sugarwhen I bottle so I'm worried now that when I try to bottle, there will be no carbonation.
Thoughts? Ideas?
Had someone say to use the left over from my IPA beers I'm drinking and dump that into my pilsner but I'm quite sure that's a horrible idea.
Help!
After giving it a few extra days, it still bothered me. So, in a moment of "high intelligence" I decided to rack it again. It was only the other day when I realized what I just did. I now have a clear batch of pislner sitting here and I'm planning on bottling this weekend. I use primming sugarwhen I bottle so I'm worried now that when I try to bottle, there will be no carbonation.
Thoughts? Ideas?
Had someone say to use the left over from my IPA beers I'm drinking and dump that into my pilsner but I'm quite sure that's a horrible idea.
Help!
-
AllanMar
- Verified User

- Posts: 719
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
- Name: Allan
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
Is your concern there isn't enough yeast left to carbonate?
IMHO you can't rack off enough yeast to prevent carbonation. Ive seen people even filter then bottle carbonate, as long as the filter isnt too fine.
IMHO you can't rack off enough yeast to prevent carbonation. Ive seen people even filter then bottle carbonate, as long as the filter isnt too fine.
- Woody
- Award Winner 4

- Posts: 1190
- Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:39 am
- Name: Derek
- Location: Truro, NS
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
You can rack a few times without issue it just increases the chances of oxidation and infection but with solid cleaning techniques this shouldn't be an issue. I agree with Allan you will have lots of yeast to carbonate. I've left beer for extended times in secondary and sometimes it just takes longer to carbonate but the yeast is still present. Bottle wait 3 weeks and crack a bad boy open.
- mstead
- Verified User

- Posts: 215
- Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
- Name: Mike Stead
- Location: Enfield, NS
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
There will be lots. I wouldn't worry. Might just take a little longer to carb up.
-
maestro
- Registered User

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 pm
- Name: Nick
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
Thanks everyone!
So my next question would be: I usually use about 160-170g dextrose to carb my brew. Should I increase this amount from racking or just use the same amount and wait longer?
So my next question would be: I usually use about 160-170g dextrose to carb my brew. Should I increase this amount from racking or just use the same amount and wait longer?
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Genuinely stupid move here...
I'd recommend using a priming sugar calculator. It'll tell you the exact amount of sugar you need based on volume, temperature, etc.
Last edited by jeffsmith on Thu May 07, 2015 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Input the volume of beer, volumes of CO2 desired (2.5 is a safe bet for pilsner), and what the temperature of your beer is now (either room temp, or lower if you will crash cool it first).
I've re-read your post several times, and still can't figure out what "stupid move" you made! Either I'm missing it (entirely possible), or you've done what lots of us do, with great results. Cheers!
Input the volume of beer, volumes of CO2 desired (2.5 is a safe bet for pilsner), and what the temperature of your beer is now (either room temp, or lower if you will crash cool it first).
I've re-read your post several times, and still can't figure out what "stupid move" you made! Either I'm missing it (entirely possible), or you've done what lots of us do, with great results. Cheers!
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- mumblecrunch
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 1206
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
- Name: Aaron
- Location: Halifax
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
Isn't the temperature you enter used to try to calculate the amount of CO2 already in the beer?chalmers wrote:http://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
Input the volume of beer, volumes of CO2 desired (2.5 is a safe bet for pilsner), and what the temperature of your beer is now (either room temp, or lower if you will crash cool it first).
During primary fermentation, the beer absorbs more CO2 the cooler it is. Unless you do something to knock that CO2 out, even if the temperature is raised to room temperature at bottling the CO2 is still there and needs to be accounted for (by using less priming sugar). I know the beer has been racked in this case but I don't know that racking would knock the CO2 out (I know it doesn't for wine, unfortunately
Likewise, if you ferment warm and then cold crash before bottling using the cold crash temperature in the calculator would be wrong because it didn't ferment that low and is not likely to have nearly as much residual CO2 as the calculator would predict. So you'd need more priming sugar.
The advice I follow, although I can't find the original citation, is to use the primary fermentation temp unless it was a very long fermentation in which case you're probably guesstimating. Of course I am not a chemist and am open to being completely wrong about this
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
Hmm, not sure. Maybe it's a level of complexity that is beyond what is necessary for homebrewing? Or are you saying find a number that works for you, and stick with it (assuming same level of carb required for future batches)? Or both!
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
-
maestro
- Registered User

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:54 pm
- Name: Nick
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
So I read this post and realized where people would wonder what my stupid move was.
After completing primary fermentation, I racked to my carboy. But after a week(ish), my carboy was merky and cloudy. I gave it a few days but in a moment of genious I racked the beer again to clear it out. Hence the questions above. I was worried that I may have cleared my beer too much and that it wouldn't carbonate.
Bottling tomorrow, so we'll see in a few weeks!
After completing primary fermentation, I racked to my carboy. But after a week(ish), my carboy was merky and cloudy. I gave it a few days but in a moment of genious I racked the beer again to clear it out. Hence the questions above. I was worried that I may have cleared my beer too much and that it wouldn't carbonate.
Bottling tomorrow, so we'll see in a few weeks!
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
Even if your beer looks clear, there will still be millions of yeast cells floating around.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
- mumblecrunch
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 1206
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
- Name: Aaron
- Location: Halifax
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
What I was trying to say was that I think the best bet for the temperature to plug into the priming calculator is the temperature the beer initially fermented at because that's going to best determine the amount of residual CO2.chalmers wrote:Hmm, not sure. Maybe it's a level of complexity that is beyond what is necessary for homebrewing? Or are you saying find a number that works for you, and stick with it (assuming same level of carb required for future batches)? Or both!
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
Gotcha. Sounds good to me.mumblecrunch wrote:What I was trying to say was that I think the best bet for the temperature to plug into the priming calculator is the temperature the beer initially fermented at because that's going to best determine the amount of residual CO2.chalmers wrote:Hmm, not sure. Maybe it's a level of complexity that is beyond what is necessary for homebrewing? Or are you saying find a number that works for you, and stick with it (assuming same level of carb required for future batches)? Or both!
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- Broob
- Verified User

- Posts: 625
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
- Name: Steve M
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Genuinely stupid move here...
maestro wrote:So I read this post and realized where people would wonder what my stupid move was.
After completing primary fermentation, I racked to my carboy. But after a week(ish), my carboy was merky and cloudy. I gave it a few days but in a moment of genious I racked the beer again to clear it out. Hence the questions above. I was worried that I may have cleared my beer too much and that it wouldn't carbonate.
Bottling tomorrow, so we'll see in a few weeks!
I've cold crashed a few beers at 2-3 C for a couple of days and there was still enough yeast left in suspension to bottle carb. Took about 3 weeks though.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 1 guest