Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
- mumblecrunch
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 1206
- Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
- Name: Aaron
- Location: Halifax
Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
So Toronto Brewing Co. posted a story to Facebook today referencing this article about the Electrical Safety Authority of Ontario shutting down breweries until they rework their electrical panels.
No big deal, right? Most of us aren't microbreweries so it doesn't affect us.
But that Facebook post says that in relation to that story they're immediately discontinuing the Blichmann Tower of Power electrical control unit because they don't meet Canadian standards. They further say that Chugger pumps are next on the list and they will be offering refunds as a result.
Do folks think this is really anything to worry about or is this Toronto Brewing playing games? I note that Toronto Brewing also sells the much more expensive March pumps (and I can't think of anyone else who does, at least not that I've dealt with). And I seem to recall hearing last year that one vendor was casting aspersions at other vendors for carrying something or other that didn't meet CSA guidelines.
No big deal, right? Most of us aren't microbreweries so it doesn't affect us.
But that Facebook post says that in relation to that story they're immediately discontinuing the Blichmann Tower of Power electrical control unit because they don't meet Canadian standards. They further say that Chugger pumps are next on the list and they will be offering refunds as a result.
Do folks think this is really anything to worry about or is this Toronto Brewing playing games? I note that Toronto Brewing also sells the much more expensive March pumps (and I can't think of anyone else who does, at least not that I've dealt with). And I seem to recall hearing last year that one vendor was casting aspersions at other vendors for carrying something or other that didn't meet CSA guidelines.
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
I don't know if it's illegal to sell non-CSA approved electrical equipment in Canada (probably?), but I understand why Toronto Brewing wouldn't want to sell it. Covering Their Ass.
Whether the product becomes unsafe as soon as it hits the border is something different entirely, of course!
Whether the product becomes unsafe as soon as it hits the border is something different entirely, of course!
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- jeffsmith
- Verified User

- Posts: 4922
- Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
- Name: Jeff Smith
- Location: Amherst, NS
- Contact:
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
I don't believe that the Tower of Power units were ever CSA certified. I recall at least one other vendor saying they wouldn't carry them for that very reason. Perhaps OBK?
I'd be curious as to the differences between a March and a Chugger.
I'd be curious as to the differences between a March and a Chugger.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
I wonder if it is Kal's panel design?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- Jayme
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 2733
- Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
- Name: Jayme
- Location: Halifax
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
I just did a CSA audit at work recently, and I know I asked if it was self-certified or an actual inspection was necessary. I seem to recall that it's self-certified but sometimes audits are done - though I could be recalling that entirely wrong. Regardless, what I did take away is that it's more or less a bullshit process (lot of pointless stipulations)/cash grab. It can be a serious pain in the ass and would really only be worth while for the manufacturer if they thought they would sell a fair amount. It's certainly something I would be fairly concerned with if I owned a brewery and made my own panel - though from that article, I'm not certain that it's quite true that all components must be CSA certified, however it's possible that then the completed assembly has to go through a more complicated (expensive) process to certify the whole assembly, like we do at my work.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
The assemblies must be certified by a recognized agency, whether it's CSA, ULc or other recognized agency. I do know that the chief electrical inspector for the province will regularly visit the dollar store, looking not only for certification, but also counterfeit certifications.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- Jayme
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 2733
- Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
- Name: Jayme
- Location: Halifax
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
-
AllanMar
- Verified User

- Posts: 719
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
- Name: Allan
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
From the Nova Scotia/Canada code (and seems pretty consistent across provinces)
https://www.novascotia.ca/just/regulati ... iicode.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.novascotia.ca/just/regulati ... iicode.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I imagine that's why Toronto Brewing is getting concerned.Approved equipment
15 (1) No corporation, company, or person shall sell, have for sale, display, rent, lease, advertise, install or use any electrical device, appliance or equipment unless it is certified as approved equipment, as defined in the Code, by a certification organization acceptable to the Chief Inspector.
(2) The Chief Inspector may approve the installation and use of electrical equipment in accordance with the Code.
(3) If, in the opinion of the Chief Inspector, electrical equipment poses a fire or shock hazard, the Chief Inspector may order the disconnection of the equipment.
(4) Where the Chief Inspector finds uncertified electrical equipment stocked by a retailer, wholesale supplier, distributor, manufacturer or contractor, the Chief Inspector may order the retailer, wholesale supplier, distributor, manufacturer or contractor, within a reasonable period of time, to
(a) provide the Chief Inspector with a list of persons to whom the equipment has been supplied;
(b) remove from shelves and discontinue selling, renting or leasing the equipment; and
(c) recall the uncertified electrical equipment from the persons to whom it was supplied.
- Jayme
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 2733
- Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
- Name: Jayme
- Location: Halifax
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
I imagine some of the cheap shit on ebay comes with counterfeit certifications as well...LeafMan66_67 wrote:The assemblies must be certified by a recognized agency, whether it's CSA, ULc or other recognized agency. I do know that the chief electrical inspector for the province will regularly visit the dollar store, looking not only for certification, but also counterfeit certifications.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
Yep - I don't trust anything cheap on eBay safety related (GFI) or higher current rated unless I'm really sure of the source.Jayme wrote:I imagine some of the cheap shit on ebay comes with counterfeit certifications as well...LeafMan66_67 wrote:The assemblies must be certified by a recognized agency, whether it's CSA, ULc or other recognized agency. I do know that the chief electrical inspector for the province will regularly visit the dollar store, looking not only for certification, but also counterfeit certifications.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
-
AllanMar
- Verified User

- Posts: 719
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
- Name: Allan
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
In case someone doesn't already know, you can check/confirm UL/CSA listings. It can sometimes be difficult to determine exactly what they're listed under though.
http://www.csagroup.org/ca/en/services/ ... ct-listing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/temp ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.csagroup.org/ca/en/services/ ... ct-listing" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/temp ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Jayme
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 2733
- Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
- Name: Jayme
- Location: Halifax
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
Interesting... none of our (company I work for) products show up in that search... unless I'm doing it wrong. But I do know we have CSA certification.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
-
AllanMar
- Verified User

- Posts: 719
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
- Name: Allan
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
Are they field certified? I don't think those get listed.
- Jayme
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 2733
- Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
- Name: Jayme
- Location: Halifax
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
Nope!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
- Comforteagle
- Registered User

- Posts: 62
- Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:26 pm
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
I was emailing with Blichman just last week regarding their new all electric BrewEasy. The said they won't be selling it to Canada because of certification & don't know when/if they'll get it.
- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
Ok, some clarification.
Blichmann will no longer be selling the Tower of Power or any product that includes that power controller (Like the BrewEasy) into Canada. I've spoken to John Blichmann several times regarding this and they are not going to pursue certification for that product Although they understand that they can sell it into Canada without CSA certs, they also understand that professional breweries use it and at that level the CFIA and the other inspection agencies look for it. They are however getting the BoilCoil Certified and when that passes, that will be certified with full CSA Approval and released for sale into Canada.
Blichmann will no longer be selling the Tower of Power or any product that includes that power controller (Like the BrewEasy) into Canada. I've spoken to John Blichmann several times regarding this and they are not going to pursue certification for that product Although they understand that they can sell it into Canada without CSA certs, they also understand that professional breweries use it and at that level the CFIA and the other inspection agencies look for it. They are however getting the BoilCoil Certified and when that passes, that will be certified with full CSA Approval and released for sale into Canada.
- Jayme
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 2733
- Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
- Name: Jayme
- Location: Halifax
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
Quite certain CFIA is not the inspection agency concerned with control panels (at least not from a CSA/UL certification standpoint)... Otherwise, yes that make sense. Quite unlikely the electrical inspector will be checking out your homebrew setup, but they will be poking around a commercial operation.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
This is one of the NS Department of Labour bulletins that applies to assemblies / assembled panels. It is one that we have always taken issue with at our office, but have to abide by and enforce it regardless. This may vary from province to province and IMHO would apply to brewery control panels as well. The bulletin is enforceable in NS by NSPI and Dept. of Labour.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- canuck
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 1960
- Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:54 am
- Name: Shane
- Location: Quispamsis, NB
- Contact:
Re: Blichmann, Chugger and CSA certification
When I opened my brewery, I had no electrical inspection done on my control panel (and still haven't). Pete Cole from Big Axe however did have to get his panel inspected. I received my panel already assembled where as Pete had his assembled by a local electrician........not sure if that had anything to do with it or not.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests