Brewer's Friend Yeast Calculator

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Hub Brewer
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 pm
Name: Pete
Location: Truro, NS

Brewer's Friend Yeast Calculator

Post by Hub Brewer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:09 pm

Just wondering if anyone has any comments or preferences when using this calculator with regards the different growth modes. I've read various things about studies by Chris White vs. Braukaiser; bottom line when I'm planning starters is that there's a substantial difference in results depending which stirplate method you select, one being quite a bit more optimistic in terms of expected growth. Thoughts?

User avatar
mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:34 pm
Name: Mark McGraw
Location: Saint John / St. John's

Re: Brewer's Friend Yeast Calculator

Post by mcgster » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:25 pm

I use white's formula for growth. I have read all Braukaisers articles but he hasn't done it on a bunch of different strains and in different scenarios. That said i don't know how Chris White did his either but since he is using that formula to determine what you are getting to start with it only makes sense to me that you use it for the growth.

I.e. if you trust him in that you are getting 100B cells in your vial then it makes sense to trust that it will work for your growth.

Hub Brewer
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 319
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 pm
Name: Pete
Location: Truro, NS

Re: Brewer's Friend Yeast Calculator

Post by Hub Brewer » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:35 pm

Kaiser argues that most calculators for stirred starters are simply scaling the growth curve that jamil/chris came up with for non-agitated starters and that his own results didn't match this. So at this point, i trust no one. That's pretty standard for me though :lol:

User avatar
McGruff
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 629
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
Name: Chris Storey
Location: Cavan, Ontario

Re: Brewer's Friend Yeast Calculator

Post by McGruff » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:33 am

I use the setting of Pro Brewer 1.0 with my stir plate and that seems to do it. Before I used .75 but was getting FG of 16 - 18 for regular beers, 1.050.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests