Hot-Toddy with the first runnings

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
Name: Evan Isnor
Location: Windsor

Hot-Toddy with the first runnings

Post by evanisnor » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:11 pm

I was doing a bit of reading on Barleywines and I came across this gem:
I think I may have picked up a new brew-day tradition... While I was talking to an assistant brewer at a brewery in Fayetteville, she taught me about a brew-day drink called a "hot-scotchie". It's where you take a shot of scotch mixed with a little bit of the first runnings from the mash. The next day, I had a brew-day with my buddy and we tried this so called hot-scotchie... Loved it! For this brew-day however I didn't have any scotch. So I made it with some crown (kinda losses something without the scotch though).
http://torrencebrewing.blogspot.ca/2013 ... -wine.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Has anyone heard about this or actually tried it? Sounds like a waste of scotch to me :lol:

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Hot-Toddy with the first runnings

Post by jeffsmith » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:30 pm

Definitely don't use your best scotch, but yes, it's excellent. Have done this with first runnings from an RIS.

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
Name: Jason Spears
Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS

Re: Hot-Toddy with the first runnings

Post by spears104 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:02 pm

I saw this on a Brewing TV episode a couple of years ago. Looks great!
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 375
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
Name: Jason Spears
Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS

Re: Hot-Toddy with the first runnings

Post by spears104 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:10 pm

Episode 26 big beer brewing
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests