carbing Fiesta brew
-
jabbrro
- Registered User

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 pm
- Name: John
carbing Fiesta brew
I am having problems getting Fiesta brews to carbinate. I have only been legging a short time and looking for some help
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
Well, you're in the right place, but we could use more details.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
Are you using c02 to carbonate or priming sugar in the kegs?
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
-
jabbrro
- Registered User

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 pm
- Name: John
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
Oh sorry ..... I guess I should have put more. I am kegging with CO2. I set my regulater to 30lbs (while purging) and leave for a couple days. I then set serving pressure at about 5lbs and there doesn't seem to be much carbonation and flat. It does have good head tho. I just seem to have this problem with Fiesta brews.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
That's not long enough to leave on CO2 without agitation. Set the regulator to 30, and shake a cold keg like hell off and on for say 45 seconds for 15 minutes. Then leave it for two days (cold) on 15 psi. Probably work better.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
Yeah I set mine to 30, shake it a bit (minute or two), let's it settle for an hour, then bleed off pressure and set reg to ~12. Make sure you let it settle and bleed off the pressure or foam/beer will backflow in to your gas lines.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
Or just purge, set to 12 PSI and leave it for a week and it will be fine, that's if it is in a fridge or keezer. If it is at room temperature the pressure will need to be higher. Solubility of CO2 in beer is dependant on temperature of the beer and pressure of the CO2 applied. Keep it at 12 PSI for serving. 5PSI is way too low. It will go flat at that pressure, that's for a North American beer. A real ale type beer would be nice at 5 PSI and 12 Centigrade. Some would say that's "warm and flat."
Here's a good link for you: http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbon ... alculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's a good link for you: http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbon ... alculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
jabbrro
- Registered User

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 pm
- Name: John
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
hey thanks alot!! I will give it a try. I didn't do the shake rattle and roll .... makes sense tho
:c)
:c)
-
jabbrro
- Registered User

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 pm
- Name: John
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
ok cool will give it a try, thx. I have built a keezer with a little deep freeze and have temp control set at 6c. I was gonna try to post some pics of the keezer build, I like how it turned outGuingesRock wrote:Or just purge, set to 12 PSI and leave it for a week and it will be fine, that's if it is in a fridge or keezer. If it is at room temperature the pressure will need to be higher. Solubility of CO2 in beer is dependant on temperature of the beer and pressure of the CO2 applied. Keep it at 12 PSI for serving. 5PSI is way too low. It will go flat at that pressure, that's for a North American beer. A real ale type beer would be nice at 5 PSI and 12 Centigrade. Some would say that's "warm and flat."
Here's a good link for you: http://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbon ... alculator/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
YES! everyone loves pictures of keezers.jabbrro wrote: I have built a keezer with a little deep freeze and have temp control set at 6c. I was gonna try to post some pics of the keezer build, I like how it turned out
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
jabbrro
- Registered User

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 pm
- Name: John
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
[img][/img]
see if this works. Keezer pic
see if this works. Keezer pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
jabbrro
- Registered User

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 pm
- Name: John
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
[img][/img]
Fits 3 kegs nice, with room for a few bottled beers. Got a 20lb CO2 on the outside
Fits 3 kegs nice, with room for a few bottled beers. Got a 20lb CO2 on the outside
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
Just as a warning, if you set it to 12psi i found it to take about 2 weeks to be well carbed. After one week it was very undercarbed.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- LiverDance
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 4014
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
- Name: Brian
- Location: Sprybeeria
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
I just did 1 week at 60f and 30psi and it was good to go
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
1 other option would be to chill the keg, set to serving pressure and rock the keg until it won't absorb anymore co2. Your beer will be carbonated perfectly, however you will be rocking the keg for quite some time. And as mentioned, let the keg settle or you will get blow back.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
the-mailman
- Verified User

- Posts: 238
- Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm
- Name: Bruce Mailman
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
I don't think the type of beer matters much, but so far I have found if I put the keg in the keezer so it's cold and set the pressure to 25 psi for 2 to 3 days it carbs just the way I like it. Just release the excess pressure and set it to what ever serving pressure you use and drink away.
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner
In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty
Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime.
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner
In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty
Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime.
- Chick Master General
- Verified User

- Posts: 34
- Joined: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:13 pm
- Name: Clint
- Location: Bathurst, NB
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
I kegged quite a few Festa kits before I switched to extract and all grain. Regardless of the brew technique, I found that if I carbonated in the mini fridge at 4-6 Celsius at 30 psi for 3 days and then I dropped the pressure down to 5 psi for serving I almost always ended up with what I considered perfect carbonation. I tend to stick more to ales so I do prefer lesser carbonation in relation to what some people prefer. I also find bleeding off the extra pressure before I serve the first beer helps as well. I tried rocking the kegs a couple times, which does speed up carbonation, but I found that I ended up with an off flavour in the beer by the time I finished it (tinny tasting). I read somewhere that this is referred to as keg taint, and it occurs because of a reaction with the stainless when carbonating with agitation. Anyone else ever experience this issue?, or am I just taking too long to empty a keg? 
-
jabbrro
- Registered User

- Posts: 44
- Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:39 pm
- Name: John
Re: carbing Fiesta brew
Thank you for all the advice. I should be able to get something to work with everything here. I can see right away that I am not being patient enough, and let it carb for a few day to a week instead of couple days or over night.
Thx Jab
:c)
Thx Jab
:c)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests