Kegging
-
Timelord_
- Verified User

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm
- Name: Tom
Kegging
so for Christmas I got all of the gear I need for kegging (minus the spare fridge). Here is what I did, and was hoping for some feedback as to wether it is correct or not.
Racked directly from primary into clean and santizied ball lock keg. Hit it with 10psi, and purged it a few times to ensure all O2 was out of the keg.
Put the keg (while connected to co2 @ 10 psi outside overnight to cool down. Did some shaking of the keg to absorb as much co2 as possible.
So here are my questions.
Is 10psi the appropriate amount for force carving/serving?
How much co2 should the above exercise have used? I am somewhat concerned about a leak. I did the bubble test, but could not find anything
When will the beer b ready to drink?
Thanks for any advice offered
Racked directly from primary into clean and santizied ball lock keg. Hit it with 10psi, and purged it a few times to ensure all O2 was out of the keg.
Put the keg (while connected to co2 @ 10 psi outside overnight to cool down. Did some shaking of the keg to absorb as much co2 as possible.
So here are my questions.
Is 10psi the appropriate amount for force carving/serving?
How much co2 should the above exercise have used? I am somewhat concerned about a leak. I did the bubble test, but could not find anything
When will the beer b ready to drink?
Thanks for any advice offered
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Kegging
How long are ur beerlines?
How long was ur brew in the primary?
How long was ur brew in the primary?
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
-
Timelord_
- Verified User

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm
- Name: Tom
Re: Kegging
Beer line is five feet. The kegging system was bought from Dave.
Beer was in the primary for just shy of three weeks. It is a cream ale.
Beer was in the primary for just shy of three weeks. It is a cream ale.
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Kegging
I used this chart to figure out my psi/temp range...I only use the set and forget method. ..10 foot beer lines...4C @ 12.5psi...10 days to 14 days seems to give me the carb level I want
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Kegging
5 foot beer lines always gave me foam issues...maybe someone that is running 5 foot lines can chime in
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Kegging
I haven't had foam issues since I swapped my lines to 10'. Had foaming issues with 5' as well.jacinthebox wrote:5 foot beer lines always gave me foam issues...maybe someone that is running 5 foot lines can chime in
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
Timelord_
- Verified User

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm
- Name: Tom
Re: Kegging
I read about foaming issues with 5ft lines. Will "upgrade" to 10ft next time I am at Daves.
- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Kegging
I don't really have any issues with 5 foot lines. Had 10 ft for a while and it just made my fridge more annoying to open
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
-
Timelord_
- Verified User

- Posts: 80
- Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:19 pm
- Name: Tom
Re: Kegging
So all in all, what I did was correct?
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Kegging
Yea. Just look for a co2 temp carbonation chart. If you are carbonating at a higher temp you will want to increase your psi.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- CorneliusAlphonse
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 2988
- Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm
Re: Kegging
Looks correct to me. I usually force carb either at 30psi with rocking (then let it settle a day or two). Or sometimes I set to 10-15psi depending on carb level wanted, and leave it along for 2-3 weeks. I have a leak somewhere in my system so I mostly force carb, and only connect my gas lines when I need em and keep the tank off the rest of the time
But yeah looks like you did things just fine!
But yeah looks like you did things just fine!
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Kegging
The longer beerlines allow u to carb at 12psi...it adds resistance to the beer slowing it down keeping the co2 in suspension. ..shorter beer lines would require a lower psi ...and/or a colder fridge...
im sure someone here could say it with more grace than I lol
And dave sells beerline splicers. ..so id just grab 2 and 2 more 5 foot lengths of beerline (and clamps)...I did it on a couple of my buddys fridges without issue
im sure someone here could say it with more grace than I lol
And dave sells beerline splicers. ..so id just grab 2 and 2 more 5 foot lengths of beerline (and clamps)...I did it on a couple of my buddys fridges without issue
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
-
the-mailman
- Verified User

- Posts: 238
- Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:21 pm
- Name: Bruce Mailman
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Kegging
My setup came with 5' and I had a few good pours but then nothing but foam. Wen't to 12' and although it pours a little slow I never get foam. I carb my keg at 25 psi for a day or two at 4C then purge and reset to 12 psi for serving. Works for me but I don't like to wait a week for it to carb at 12 psi.jacinthebox wrote:5 foot beer lines always gave me foam issues...maybe someone that is running 5 foot lines can chime in
Currently on tap:
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner
In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty
Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime.
1) Festa Brown Ale
2) Festa Pale Ale
3) Best Case Northern Lights
4) Festa Continental Pilsner
In the bucket: Empty
In the carboy: Empty
Buy yourself a 24 and you'll be happy for a weekend. Teach yourself to homebrew and you'll be happy for a lifetime.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests