Cidery taste

A spot to talk general homebrew
User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Cidery taste

Post by Jayme » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:13 am

GasMD30 wrote:All of my materials end up in a Oxi-San (H2O2) soak in the brew kettle while I mash my grains on the stove. All of my water is pre-boiled to try to remove chlorine.

I usually slightly overpitch my yeast, as I use dry yeast. Probably 3-4 g of yeast for the gallon of wort.
The first statement I've quotes is a potential issue - Oxisan, which is considered a one-step cleaner/sanitizer, is better for cleaning than it is sanitizing (being primarily H2O2 makes it similar to PWB) . I would strongly reccomend you switch to either Star-san or iodafor - opinions vary, but I believe the general consensus on one-step cleaner/sanitizers is that they are typically good at one task, the other, or mediocre at both. Anyway, it's definitely something you could try.

I have questions about the second statement. Do you rehydrate your yeast in water before pitching? If so, do you first boil the water and let it cool? Do you keep it carefully sealed while cooling? Over pitching can lead to some issues as well, though likely not the flavours your describing (https://www.wyeastlab.com/com-pitch-rates.cfm see the bottom of the page), but 4g in a 1.050 batch is close to double what you need (unless you're direct pitching, in which case that's probably about the right amount).
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Cidery taste

Post by GAM » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:24 pm

GuingesRock wrote: Moral, if you screw around you'll get infections.

:cheers2:
Life lesson!

Sandy

GasMD30
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
Name: Josh

Re: Cidery taste

Post by GasMD30 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:19 pm

No I don't rehydrate. 1 because I am lazy 2 because I worry about infection and 3 because articles I ve read said you don't need to.
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Cidery taste

Post by Jayme » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:41 pm

GasMD30 wrote:No I don't rehydrate. 1 because I am lazy 2 because I worry about infection and 3 because articles I ve read said you don't need to.
Likely not that then. Personally, I've only read articles stating the exact opposite, and the only evidence I've seen stating you shouldn't rehydrate is empirical evidence from people saying "my beer turns out just as good, so why bother". Anyway - that's off topic.

I would try a different sanitizer and see if that makes a difference. One-steps are not ideal.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

GasMD30
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
Name: Josh

Re: Cidery taste

Post by GasMD30 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:43 pm

Definitely a reasonable thing to do, as well as the nylon bag for my hops.
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider

User avatar
Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:27 pm
Name: Jayme
Location: Halifax

Re: Cidery taste

Post by Jayme » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:24 pm

Keep us posted and good luck!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

GasMD30
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
Name: Josh

Re: Cidery taste

Post by GasMD30 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:54 pm

Jayme wrote:Keep us posted and good luck!
Thanks
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Cidery taste

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:07 pm

Just to confuse you more,

When I use dried yeast I don't re-hydrate (for the same reasons you mention) although I did try it. The professional brewers I know don't re-hydrate. I presented some literature arguing the case against on Jimmy's thread here: http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... +dry+yeast" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I think I lost the case, but was badly outnumbered.

Also I use one step and love it. I've used it for 2 years.

:wink:
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 719
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:16 pm
Name: Allan
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Cidery taste

Post by AllanMar » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:30 pm

Another vote for StarSan, its all I use and I've never had a problem (for what thats worth). I don't bother with boiling water or anything even anymore. perhaps I'll be burned by that eventually (excuse the pun).

I rehydrate sometimes, and don't others. Both produce good results but the re-hydrated yeast has shorter lag times (at least for me) which implies higher viability. If its a higher og beer i usually rehydrate for that reason.

GasMD30
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
Name: Josh

Re: Cidery taste

Post by GasMD30 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:51 pm

Well I will definitely switch my filtration process. Are those nylon bags boil safe?
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Cidery taste

Post by Tony L » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:30 pm

GasMD30 wrote: Are those nylon bags boil safe?
I have used them in the boil all the time when I did use them. Now I don't use them as such as they are quite small and don't hold enough hops for my use. If you can't find any I can give you one of the ones I have.

Also I either use Bleach or PBW to clean my equipment depending on what I am cleaning. I use Star-san to sanitize

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Cidery taste

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:39 pm

I should mention that I only use the one step for kegs, I fill the kegs with the solution, run it through both dip tubes and posts, and then leave the kegs full of solution until I'm ready to keg, then I simply dump and fill. For every other sanitizing job that isn't done with heat, I have a bucket of starsan, everything gets thrown in there, including tubing which is coiled in so it fills ...and my hands, which go in the bucket first before I touch anything.

If you are suspecting infection, might be advisable to step up the game and use starsan after a thorough clean.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

GasMD30
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
Name: Josh

Re: Cidery taste

Post by GasMD30 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:31 pm

This is getting me revved up to brew another batch! If only I wasn't working Saturday!
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider

GasMD30
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
Name: Josh

Re: Cidery taste

Post by GasMD30 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:39 pm

Do you guys use StarSan in your air locks? I've noticed it makes bubbles
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider

User avatar
dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
Name: Phil
Location: Halifax

Re: Cidery taste

Post by dexter » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:57 pm

GasMD30 wrote:Any suggestions for reducing the amount of hop bits in the fermenter? I cannot get a good whirlpool going to save my life
look for a hop spider, works like a tea infuser for hops. i use one in conjunction with a mesh bag.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Cidery taste

Post by Keith » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:15 pm

Hop spiders just restrict flavour. Ask Derek (leafman) to post a pic of his setup
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
dexter
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 994
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:59 am
Name: Phil
Location: Halifax

Re: Cidery taste

Post by dexter » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:20 pm

Keith wrote:Hop spiders just restrict flavour. Ask Derek (leafman) to post a pic of his setup
Depends on the bag I think. My first one was a smaller bag like a tube sock,my newer one is almost the same size as my BIAB bag takes fills most of the kettle

User avatar
LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 4600
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
Name: Derek Stapleton
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Cidery taste

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:16 am

dexter wrote:
Keith wrote:Hop spiders just restrict flavour. Ask Derek (leafman) to post a pic of his setup
Depends on the bag I think. My first one was a smaller bag like a tube sock,my newer one is almost the same size as my BIAB bag takes fills most of the kettle
If you can keep the wort flowing in and around the hops in a bag, preventing them from balling up, it should be good.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests