Interesting ingredient

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Interesting ingredient

Post by Broob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:11 am

I get stuck using the same type of grains when I'm making an APA - crystal, Vienna, Munich etc. Anybody have any suggestions for a grain that would make an APA more interesting? My APAs are usually in the 1050-1055 range and 40-50 IBU. I feel a bit stuck in a rut.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by GAM » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:05 am

Honey, smoke, chocolate malts are my first thoughts. I'd go easy on the smoke, but thats me.

You could change it and make a IBA.

Sandy

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:06 am

I made a nice one with half MO and half Pilsner for the base and put some munich11 with that.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Interesting ingredient

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:12 am

Some oats would give a different mouthfeel. You could also try melanoidin, I've made a few IPA's with a small amount (<5%) that I've enjoyed.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by Keith » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:27 am

Broob wrote:I get stuck using the same type of grains when I'm making an APA - crystal, Vienna, Munich etc. Anybody have any suggestions for a grain that would make an APA more interesting? My APAs are usually in the 1050-1055 range and 40-50 IBU. I feel a bit stuck in a rut.
This is my go to grain build that I use for most of my IPA\APA's. I haven't moved away from this grain build for a while. Makes a very light full bodied beer. Great head retention, great mouth feel, and finishes clean and allows the hops to shine more than the malts.

Below is for 10 gallons of course. Should get you to 1.057 with 70% efficiency.
15lbs 2 row
2lbs crystal 30
2lbs carahell
12oz carapils
12oz munich I
1lb dextrose
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by Broob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:24 am

nice, some good ideas - thanks
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

User avatar
evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 am
Name: Evan Isnor
Location: Windsor

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by evanisnor » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:33 am

I've heard about people tossing in something like 2% Special B. Apparently that would add a subtle raisin character. I'm going to try it with an extract IIPA next week.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by Jimmy » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 am

jeffsmith wrote: You could also try melanoidin, I've made a few IPA's with a small amount (<5%) that I've enjoyed.

Yup. If you look through the Rockbottom brewers blog, you'll see melanoidin is one malt that Nash uses in a lot of his brews!

kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 272
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 1:47 pm
Name: Ken McCulloch
Location: Williamswood, N.S

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by kenny10 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:04 pm

I needed to switch things up my self...going to ad some espresso coffee to my pale ale that's fermenting now....

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by gm- » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:28 pm

Victory can also be interesting in lighter APAs.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by Broob » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:30 pm

gm- wrote:Victory can also be interesting in lighter APAs.
Cool, I'm putting victory in the mild I'm making for the Xmas exchange.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1145
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
Name: Jon S
Location: Reykjavik, Iceland

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by gm- » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:44 pm

But if you want to explore some really interesting ingredients, here are two :lol: :

Kelp http://brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4108

Lobster http://brewnosers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=4572

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

bandarker
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am
Name: wee

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by bandarker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:15 pm

My first homebrew was this Jasmine IPA, which came out more like an APA, and was really delicious. I sourced organic Jasmine online.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/avatar- ... one-67344/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:25 pm

bandarker wrote:My first homebrew was this Jasmine IPA, which came out more like an APA, and was really delicious. I sourced organic Jasmine online.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/avatar- ... one-67344/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks. That sounds very interesting. Where can you get dried Jasmin flowers? From the link it looks like you use them the same as hops.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

bandarker
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:29 am
Name: wee

Re: Interesting ingredient

Post by bandarker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:46 pm

I got mine here -> http://www.tealux.ca/pure_jasmine_flowe ... ng=jasmine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests