10 Gallon Batches

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

10 Gallon Batches

Post by RossBee » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:54 pm

I've been brewing 10 gallon batches since Christmas, on average a couple every 6 weeks. I've been using 5 gallon buckets and glass carboys as fermentors, both primary and secondary. After a significant carboy accident earlier this summer (26 stitches and about 3 pints on the floor - blood that is, luckily not beer), I'm looking for larger fermentation containers out of plastic, containers that will hold the 10 gallon batch size with some room to spare.

Has anyone come across larger that 10 gallon brew buckets at a reasonable cost. I found various sizes in Dieppe, however, they are dis-proportionally priced.

I could go to stainless, but the budget does not allow for this yet.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

:cheers3:
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by Celiacbrew » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:33 pm

I think I saw a thread on here where a couple of people bought plastic conicals from an agricultural supply company.

*** found it. Here is the thread. ***
http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... ave#p91502" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully that will help you out some. Another option are the spiedel ones that have handles and what not. People on homebrewtalk seem to like them.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
Jamie D
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:37 pm
Name: Jamie
Location: Hubbards, Nova Scotia

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by Jamie D » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:16 pm

I use the larger version of these and am quite happy with them. Not a conical, but they are easy to clean, not too expensive and have worked well for me.

http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-pl ... 9-gal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by LiverDance » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:33 pm

Noble grape was selling large plastic containers in burnside for$20 they were food grade as well
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:23 pm

Yeah noble grape had like liquid malt extract containers, good call Brian

Edited for typo
Last edited by CorneliusAlphonse on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

chalmers
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 5604
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
Name: Chris
Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
Contact:

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by chalmers » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:38 pm

Lots of good suggestions, my only comment is "Ouch!" And I'm glad you are still able to type. Sounds nasty.

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by RossBee » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:13 am

Yup, it was one of those 54 L green Italian jobs. Had 7 of them, two broke, the other five are reserved for clear spirits (80%+ ABV) only. I have all sorts of 205L food grade barrels from the winery (work), but the brew day would be a bit too long. Unless, of course the mash tun and kettle got bigger, mmmhh? No, no, no, baby steps!!
Why brew beer I can buy?

saosborne
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: sean osborne
Location: Fall River

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by saosborne » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:53 am

had a similar incident with a glass carboy (no stitches thankfully) using the better bottle carboys now. the 6 gal carboys are easier to move around plus with 10 gal batches you have options to split the batch, use different yeasts, dry hop etc.

GasMD30
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
Name: Josh

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by GasMD30 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:22 am

saosborne wrote:had a similar incident with a glass carboy (no stitches thankfully) using the better bottle carboys now. the 6 gal carboys are easier to move around plus with 10 gal batches you have options to split the batch, use different yeasts, dry hop etc.

That's a good idea... Splitting for more experimentation!
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by amartin » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:14 am

There's always plastic buckets too. You can use two of them, and they're easier to carry around, and you can open them on top for easy skimming or top cropping.

User avatar
Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 849
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:08 pm
Name: Mike E.
Location: Dartmouth

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:40 am

Jamie D wrote:I use the larger version of these and am quite happy with them. Not a conical, but they are easy to clean, not too expensive and have worked well for me.

http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-pl ... 9-gal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you mind my asking where you purchased your fermentrr from? Canadian homebrewsupplies has these but they are a different shape than the one in your link. I like the idea of a bigger fermenter with almost the same footprint as a carboy.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

User avatar
Jamie D
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:37 pm
Name: Jamie
Location: Hubbards, Nova Scotia

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by Jamie D » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:44 am

Bought them from morebeer. Shipping was in the $35/per fermenter range and I didn't get tagged with any extra fees at the border, but that is hit or miss.

Celiacbrew wrote:
Jamie D wrote:I use the larger version of these and am quite happy with them. Not a conical, but they are easy to clean, not too expensive and have worked well for me.

http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-pl ... 9-gal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you mind my asking where you purchased your fermentrr from? Canadian homebrewsupplies has these but they are a different shape than the one in your link. I like the idea of a bigger fermenter with almost the same footprint as a carboy.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by Keith » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:58 am

Jamie D wrote:Bought them from morebeer. Shipping was in the $35/per fermenter range and I didn't get tagged with any extra fees at the border, but that is hit or miss.

Celiacbrew wrote:
Jamie D wrote:I use the larger version of these and am quite happy with them. Not a conical, but they are easy to clean, not too expensive and have worked well for me.

http://morebeer.com/products/speidel-pl ... 9-gal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Do you mind my asking where you purchased your fermentrr from? Canadian homebrewsupplies has these but they are a different shape than the one in your link. I like the idea of a bigger fermenter with almost the same footprint as a carboy.
If they ship USPS you wont' get dinged with extras. UPS or FedEx you will every time. :cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by GAM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:21 pm

LiverDance wrote:Noble grape was selling large plastic containers in burnside for$20 they were food grade as well
PITA to clean but I have used one. Mr. X had one too.

Sandy

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:14 pm

I've got some you can have for free. I've got one now and will have more in a couple of weeks. 15 gallon extract barrels:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by Keith » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:19 pm

how big a bastard are those to clean Dave?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:34 pm

Keith wrote:how big a bastard are those to clean Dave?
Not sure, never cleaned one. I just recycle them.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by Keith » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:37 pm

I may need to attempt this once I get some space free'd up in my house.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by GAM » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Dave, Put me down for one. I may regret this but...

Sandy

User avatar
jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1934
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
Name: Trevor Whyte

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by jtmwhyte » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:09 pm

I'd love to get one of these Dave...
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:26 pm

I have 1 empty right now and 3 that are full. I'm going to empty the 3 full ones over the next 2-3 weeks. Whomever makes it out first can have the empty one now and I'll try to let you guys know when the other ones are free.

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by RossBee » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:32 pm

Liking the Speidel. Talked to McCain's, they bring in juice, unfortunately, only have 205 L drums. They used to have the 100 L that are similar to the Speidel.

Used to use the closed top concentrate drum that Dave is giving away, as was mentioned, quite difficult to clean, particularly since the seam runs across the top and it has standard bung holes.

I have lots of 20 litre buckets, found I can only fill them to about the 15 litre mark, otherwise I'm in a mess, so for a 10 gallon batch, that's 3 buckets. One additional reason I'm looking for a bigger vessel is the, as mentioned, footprint.

Search continues

:mebeer:
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 2988
Joined: Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:11 pm

i think someone (maritime wine n spirits maybe?) has larger fermentation buckets, closer to 30L - lets you get a full 5-6gallon batch in there with loads of head room. someone on here uses or used to use them.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 572
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:02 am
Name: Marc Thibodeau
Location: Beaver Bank, NS

Re: 10 Gallon Batches

Post by mthibodeau » Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:40 pm

Dave has the 30L buckets for sale
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests