Buffing Up Old Kegs
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Buffing Up Old Kegs
What would you buff up the outside of old Cornys with to make them look like new? I tried using this thing. Even though it is nylon it was scratching the surface, removed the old labels nicely though. Now I'm using BKF and a nylon scouring pad. They are looking a bit better but not as good as I wanted. When I used to do metal work there was some kind of polishing wheel that you put paste on, Do they still have that?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs
I polished my keggle to a mirror finish with fine grit sandpaper, rough polishing wheel, and then buffed with 2 or 3 different polishing compounds, all from Princess Auto.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs
Polishing compounds ...that's it! thanks. did you use them with a rag or some kind of cloth wheel?
This is as far as I got with the BKF.
This is as far as I got with the BKF.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
-
Timothy Doane
- Verified User

- Posts: 100
- Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm
Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs
I use Bar Keepers Friend powder mixed with water and a blue scratch free 3M stainless scrubbie and wipe off with a rag. It works fast and looks great. I also clean then spar varnish the rubber so it won't stain the carpet when wet.
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs
Tim - can you explain spar varnish (as I clean the black from my hands)Timothy Doane wrote: I also clean then spar varnish the rubber so it won't stain the carpet when wet.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
-
spears104
- Verified User

- Posts: 375
- Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:58 pm
- Name: Jason Spears
- Location: Port Hawkesbury, NS
Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs
You can get different buffers and the SS polishing compound at princess auto that will fit in your drill. I'd give them a rub with scotchbrite pad first to get the ugly stuff off.GuingesRock wrote:Polishing compounds ...that's it! thanks. did you use them with a rag or some kind of cloth wheel?
This is as far as I got with the BKF.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -
-
Timothy Doane
- Verified User

- Posts: 100
- Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm
Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs
It was my fathers suggestion, he told me it used for sailboats mostly. The carpets at my kegerator are grey, and when I clean the kegs it seems like when water hits the black - it stains everything.
I use Minwax indoor/outdood Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear gloss. First with cleaning wipes (and gloves) I clean the black as well as possible let it dry then paint on the spar varnish - a little will really go a long way. it tends to run a bit so when I'm done every 10 min or so for a hour I look for drips and paint them back in. It takes 2-3 days to dry, then I do the other side.
When finshed it gies a glossy/shinny appearence that is a hard shell - it will never stain again - this is a permanent solution.
I wish I knew how to post a pic they do look great!
Hope this helps!
I use Minwax indoor/outdood Helmsman Spar Urethane Clear gloss. First with cleaning wipes (and gloves) I clean the black as well as possible let it dry then paint on the spar varnish - a little will really go a long way. it tends to run a bit so when I'm done every 10 min or so for a hour I look for drips and paint them back in. It takes 2-3 days to dry, then I do the other side.
When finshed it gies a glossy/shinny appearence that is a hard shell - it will never stain again - this is a permanent solution.
I wish I knew how to post a pic they do look great!
Hope this helps!
- LeafMan66_67
- Award Winner 2

- Posts: 4600
- Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:10 am
- Name: Derek Stapleton
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Buffing Up Old Kegs
Thanks! I may give it a shot.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests