I don't know if im one of the last guys making canned kits. I brew them because I find its the Cheapest and easiest way to make decent beer. Im in Halifax and last time I went in the Noble Grape (Quinpool) they really had a terrible selection of canned kits. Is it just a fact of life that canned brewing kits are on the way out? Or is there maybe a another decent spot in the Halifax area to get a good selection? Or is it maybe a case of no one will know cause no one bothers with the canned kits no more?? lol
Any feedback is appreciated -- thanks.
Canned Kits dying out??
-
revolutionarybrewer
- Registered User

- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:14 am
- Name: Elvis
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Canned Kits dying out??
Check with Dave @ Everwood, he has a lot of Extract only options available that are ideal for easy stove top batches. The other option would be to go with the Festabrew kits which are as easy as cleaning and adding yeast.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Canned Kits dying out??
In my opinion it's that demand has dropped steadily for a canned kit over the past few years. Many moons ago they were the only route for an extract based kit but as options have increased the demand has decreased. Again, in my opinion the reason that the extract kits I and other stores provide are selling more is that we use fresh, unhopped malt extract to which you can add hops and specialty grains. The availability of a large variety of extracts, grains and hops has significantly increased quality and taste. The hopped extract tends to be bitter with no hop aroma and little hop flavour. Great for some beers, but for the most part an undesirable trait. The trade off, as you've outlined is that the cost has increased. I remember paying $15 for a canned kit 10-15 years ago when I started, and the least expensive extract kit I sell now is $21, but they range up to $45+.
However (and I am very biased) you pay for what you get.
However (and I am very biased) you pay for what you get.
-
revolutionarybrewer
- Registered User

- Posts: 11
- Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:14 am
- Name: Elvis
Re: Canned Kits dying out??
I just clicked on your website for your shop and you sell 19L extract boxed kits for under 30$? Wow that's very reasonable. It about the same as I pay to make 19-20L of beer from my canned kits and additives.
I actually started to do some of the boxed extract kits from Noble Grape when they were in the 30$ range but then they called them 'Best Case' kits and I think the cheapest one is now like 37$. Those were the kits where you had the malt and you had to steep the grains and well as boil in the hops. It looks like yours are the same principle eh?
In any case i'm happy I posted here I had no idea your little shop existed. I just have two canned kits in the closet left to finish then I will come see you and likely start brewing the boxed extract kits. They take a little more work and time but I always found that the end result was a little tastier then the canned brews. I just never figured there were any available locally for this kind of price.
Cheers
I actually started to do some of the boxed extract kits from Noble Grape when they were in the 30$ range but then they called them 'Best Case' kits and I think the cheapest one is now like 37$. Those were the kits where you had the malt and you had to steep the grains and well as boil in the hops. It looks like yours are the same principle eh?
In any case i'm happy I posted here I had no idea your little shop existed. I just have two canned kits in the closet left to finish then I will come see you and likely start brewing the boxed extract kits. They take a little more work and time but I always found that the end result was a little tastier then the canned brews. I just never figured there were any available locally for this kind of price.
Cheers
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Canned Kits dying out??
Everwood is local, has a large variety of products and equipment, the owner is knowledgeable, and the gang that sometimes hang out there are AWESOME! !!!
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- pet lion
- Verified User

- Posts: 751
- Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:42 pm
- Name: Peter
- Location: Halifax peninsula
Re: Canned Kits dying out??
We don't have a lot of canned kit customers at Quinpool (some locations have more clientele that does). If you want us to stock anything for you let us know though.revolutionarybrewer wrote:I don't know if im one of the last guys making canned kits. I brew them because I find its the Cheapest and easiest way to make decent beer. Im in Halifax and last time I went in the Noble Grape (Quinpool) they really had a terrible selection of canned kits. Is it just a fact of life that canned brewing kits are on the way out? Or is there maybe a another decent spot in the Halifax area to get a good selection? Or is it maybe a case of no one will know cause no one bothers with the canned kits no more?? lol
Any feedback is appreciated -- thanks.
Peter
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests