Using algae as a fining agent
-
Marlowke
- Registered User

- Posts: 1
- Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 pm
- Name: Michael Kean
Using algae as a fining agent
I'm going to brew this weekend, and am probably going to use a fining agent near the end of the boil. In the past I've used the irish moss tabs, but I'm thinking of attempting to use real irish moss (Chondrus crispus). Chondrus is super common around, and (dependent on getting a good supply) I think it would be pretty easy to use. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted using real irish moss in their brews. If so, did you extract carrageenan beforehand? How?
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Using algae as a fining agent
Hi Michael and welcome to the Brewnosers,
People use dried Irish moss, as you know: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/sea ... records=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I tried Googling using the fresh stuff, and there isn't much info that I could find. So if you develop a process keep us updated please. Sounds interesting. If it's possible it could be of interest to a local brewery wanting to advertise the use of local products ...possibly.
People use dried Irish moss, as you know: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/sea ... records=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I tried Googling using the fresh stuff, and there isn't much info that I could find. So if you develop a process keep us updated please. Sounds interesting. If it's possible it could be of interest to a local brewery wanting to advertise the use of local products ...possibly.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Using algae as a fining agent
Planet Organic sells Irish Moss (I believe it was in a bulk section where you pay by weight). I don't know if there is any difference from the stuff used in brewing.
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Using algae as a fining agent
I use dried irish moss all the time. But due to it being extremely cheap from the brewing stores, it is simply not worth picking yourself. You can buy a bag that will last you the year for $3, my time is worth way more than that + gas to the shore.
Never tried using it fresh, could give interesting flavours. I used a bunch of kelp in a pale ale once, it was allright, a bit too salty though.
Never tried using it fresh, could give interesting flavours. I used a bunch of kelp in a pale ale once, it was allright, a bit too salty though.
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Using algae as a fining agent
Personally, I haven't found the need for a fining agent in the boil. I used to use the whirlfloc tabs but after forgetting to toss them in a couple of brews I realised they weren't really accomplishing anything. I find having the keg of beer in the fridge for a week or two clears it up no problem.
- adams81
- Verified User

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:34 pm
- Name: Geoff
- Location: Clayton Park, NS
Re: Using algae as a fining agent
I've tried doing this, just casually glancing around while walking on the beach. Not really to save money or anything, but mostly as a curiosity. It was difficult to identify and usually covered in flies.
From what I've read they rake it from the sea bed in shallow water, then dry it. That would be more fresh than the decomposing stuff washed up on the beach.
I thought of going to look for some after a big storm to find stuff freshly washed up but haven't bothered yet.
From what I've read they rake it from the sea bed in shallow water, then dry it. That would be more fresh than the decomposing stuff washed up on the beach.
I thought of going to look for some after a big storm to find stuff freshly washed up but haven't bothered yet.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Using algae as a fining agent
Interesting. I think I might stop using whirfloc and see how it goes.Jimmy wrote:Personally, I haven't found the need for a fining agent in the boil. I used to use the whirlfloc tabs but after forgetting to toss them in a couple of brews I realised they weren't really accomplishing anything. I find having the keg of beer in the fridge for a week or two clears it up no problem.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- GillettBreweryCnslt
- Vendor

- Posts: 1935
- Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
- Name: David Gillett
- Location: Hammonds Plains
- Contact:
Re: Using algae as a fining agent
I'm with Jimmy, I haven't used any clearing agents ever, and with the exception of 1 beer (to which I added a lb of citra in a 10 gal batch) all have been crystal clear after a couple of weeks in the kegorator.GuingesRock wrote:Interesting. I think I might stop using whirfloc and see how it goes.Jimmy wrote:Personally, I haven't found the need for a fining agent in the boil. I used to use the whirlfloc tabs but after forgetting to toss them in a couple of brews I realised they weren't really accomplishing anything. I find having the keg of beer in the fridge for a week or two clears it up no problem.
- mr x
- Mod Award Winner

- Posts: 13764
- Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
- Location: Halifax/New Glasgow
Re: Using algae as a fining agent
I use fining agents almost always. Not for clarity, but for coagulation of hops and break material. I find it helps with run off from the kettle.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. 
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests