Finally thinking about actually figuring it out...

New members, introduce yourselves!
JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Finally thinking about actually figuring it out...

Post by JamesM80 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:16 am

Hey all,

I'm another new one to the board from East Hants. I've been pitching yeast into wort for about ten years now and have mastered the art of never creating two brews that taste the same. I've fermented in the sunroom at 30 deg C for a beautiful mess of carboy overflow creating a delicious propaneish concoction. I've also ventured to the other end and tried to ferment at the low temps for not long enough and created some super sweet low to no alcohol beer... I think the only thing I have consistently done right is possibly sanitizing, because I have somehow never managed to create anything undrinkable (I was a bit younger for the earlier craptastic batches, so I probably was a bit more tolerant and eager to journey toward the final effect). With that said, I've finally come to understand that I need to figure out this whole fermentation thing and why not jump into the all grain brewing category (ok, so I need to learn pretty much the whole process).

My goal is to somehow figure out how to trick people into thinking I am supplying quality beer from my kegs and not just mediocre swill. I want to get into some small batch brewing to really try to figure out all the fun stuff like how differences between grains, yeasts, fermentation temps, etc. affect the final product. I'm just seeing this Board for the first time tonight, and I have a ton of questions, but I will use some quality procrastination time to go over the board before I start spewing them out. I look forward to getting into some fun brews and learning a thing or two.

Cheers!
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Finally thinking about actually figuring it out...

Post by ConanTroutman » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:00 am

JamesM80 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:16 am
Hey all,

I'm another new one to the board from East Hants. I've been pitching yeast into wort for about ten years now and have mastered the art of never creating two brews that taste the same. I've fermented in the sunroom at 30 deg C for a beautiful mess of carboy overflow creating a delicious propaneish concoction. I've also ventured to the other end and tried to ferment at the low temps for not long enough and created some super sweet low to no alcohol beer... I think the only thing I have consistently done right is possibly sanitizing, because I have somehow never managed to create anything undrinkable (I was a bit younger for the earlier craptastic batches, so I probably was a bit more tolerant and eager to journey toward the final effect). With that said, I've finally come to understand that I need to figure out this whole fermentation thing and why not jump into the all grain brewing category (ok, so I need to learn pretty much the whole process).

My goal is to somehow figure out how to trick people into thinking I am supplying quality beer from my kegs and not just mediocre swill. I want to get into some small batch brewing to really try to figure out all the fun stuff like how differences between grains, yeasts, fermentation temps, etc. affect the final product. I'm just seeing this Board for the first time tonight, and I have a ton of questions, but I will use some quality procrastination time to go over the board before I start spewing them out. I look forward to getting into some fun brews and learning a thing or two.

Cheers!
Welcome!

By the sounds of it one of the best purchases you could make starting out would be a fermentation fridge/chamber. Definitely one of the best ways to increase consistency with your final product if you're using fresh yeast and giving it an environment that it can work best.

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:26 am

Thanks for the reply, I did actually pick up an inkbird temp controller the other day (I think on Prime Day) and have a small chest freezer that will work. All I have to do is figure out how to empty it or transfer to the main fridge and will be good to go. For now, I've been using space in my basement under the stairs, and it seems to keep at a pretty consistent 18 deg C at least around this time of year. Fresh yeast is something that I'd like to try.
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:14 pm

JamesM80 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:26 am
Thanks for the reply, I did actually pick up an inkbird temp controller the other day (I think on Prime Day) and have a small chest freezer that will work. All I have to do is figure out how to empty it or transfer to the main fridge and will be good to go. For now, I've been using space in my basement under the stairs, and it seems to keep at a pretty consistent 18 deg C at least around this time of year. Fresh yeast is something that I'd like to try.
In this sense fresh would be referring to new and properly stored, if you're thinking liquid yeast that's not something that will necessarily increase quality or consistency. Dry yeast makes every bit as great of a beer as liquid but you'll find more variety in liquid options.

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:08 am

Gotcha, I was thinking the liquid. Good to know I don't have to jump into that just yet in order to brew a good one.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:41 am

JamesM80 wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:26 am
I always ferment in my basement without any problems. Only time I've needed to clear out my beer fridge to use for fermentation is for lagering, which I hardly ever do, or when the temp gets too hot in the summer. You will want to pick up a heat wrap though to use with that inkbird so you can stop it getting too cold.
:cheers:

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:13 am

I originally was thinking about using a small heater with the inkbird for the space under the stairs I ferment in, but I'm thinking it might be a bit much for energy wastage. I wouldn't use the inkbird temp probe in the wort, just in the air to at least get a consistent ambient temp and adjust as necessary as the wort ferments and gains a few degrees. A heating pad probably makes way more sense!

ScotianHobo

Post by ScotianHobo » Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:24 pm

JamesM80 wrote:I originally was thinking about using a small heater with the inkbird for the space under the stairs I ferment in, but I'm thinking it might be a bit much for energy wastage. I wouldn't use the inkbird temp probe in the wort, just in the air to at least get a consistent ambient temp and adjust as necessary as the wort ferments and gains a few degrees. A heating pad probably makes way more sense!

I don't know if more seasoned gear heads can make a recco on this but I've personally never been happy with my "good enough for now" basic chest freezer chamber. I've used and not used a heat pad under it (and the oscillating temps from the sides Vs bottom Vs top wreaked havoc) , I've dangled the probe in the air (didn't cool the centre mass enough during first 24hrs), taped in insulation on the side etc.

Does anyone have a detailed description of how their fav setup is done? With precision?

Everytime I drink an B+ batch that I know could have been an A but for a bit of temp control I start googling glycol chillers.

Also, @jamesm80: welcome to the beginning of your end ;)

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:56 pm

I have a Danby 4.4 cubic foot mini fridge that I use as my fermentation chamber. The fridge is plugged into the "cool" port of an Inkbird. On the warm side, I have a tin can heater made from a round backbox, keyless light socket, a 7W light bulb and a tomato juice can. I experimented with the temperature probe in a thermowell vs strapped to the side and covered with reflectix - the difference was negligible.

This time of year, when making ales, I don't bother with the chamber; I keep the basement around 17C, wrap a heat belt around the fermenter, wrap the works with a couple layers of reflectix, drop my probe in a thermowell and control the belt with an STC 1000.

I use the same setup year round for my continuous Kombucha setup, but in that case, the probe is simply strapped to the side of the fermenter and set at 75F.

For the keg fridge, I use an STC 1000, but for that one, I have the probe sitting in a quart mason jar full of sanitizer at the back of the fridge. Works great at keeping multiple kegs, bottles and cans at the same temperature.

Hopefully that gives you a few ideas.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 11:31 pm

This might sound stupid, but I've never even thought of better controlling my serving temps. I may have to pick up a controller for the kegerator! It might help with my problem of having my bottles at the back of the fridge becoming encased in ice...

Naboo
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: David

Post by Naboo » Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:56 pm

This is my current set up for fermentation. I use the beer fridge for cooler temps but anything around 68F or warmer this works fine. Used it with regular buckets as well. Not had a problem with temp control since I started using this setup.

Return to “New Member Introductions”