Getting into the brewing game

New members, introduce yourselves!
Fil_Kay
Name: Fil

Getting into the brewing game

Post by Fil_Kay » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:39 pm

Hello all!

I'm just starting to get into the brewing game and was directed to y'all through someone at MWBE. It's great to see that there's a message board for brewers in Atlantic Canada, although poking through it I realize I have a LOT to learn. I'm relatively comfortable with the theoretical aspects (i.e., initial stages involve transferring sugars to the wort, the use of yeast during fermentation to develop alcohol, the use of yeast and sugars to create carbonation during bottle conditioning, etc.), but I still have no idea how the different factors affect the final outcome, and I still have a lot to learn about the vocabulary and pros/cons of the various methods.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the whole process. Over the last couple years, I've found that I'm a huge fan of sours, but I like a good Belgian witbier or gose as well, so that's my aim. However, I don't want to take the time to properly sour a beer after fermentation, so I'm looking at doing the souring early on (I'm currently reading up on wort souring prior to primary fermentation). I haven't actually picked any gear up yet, but I'm aiming to start with an extract kit and some basic supplies (carboys, siphon, bottles, sanitizer) just to get a jump on things while I figure out how I want to address the wort-making stage (all-grain vs extract, propane vs electric kettles, batch size, souring, etc). I figure that'll give me a few weeks to sort out if I like the process (and end results) before I invest in the equipment necessary to work with grain myself.

Anyway, happy to be here and looking forward to learning more and chatting to local home-brew enthusiasts!

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Re: Getting into the brewing game

Post by know1 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:52 pm

Welcome!

There is continuously lots to learn, even after 10+ years.

There is a bunch of examples of brew systems on the forum and for sours, kettle souring is the pre-fermentation go-to which can be kick started with tailored yeast-like packs, probiotic capsules containing souring lactobacillis or even a few handfulls of raw grain if you like to live in the edge a bit.

Many brewers have great results with the robobrew/grainfather electric systems. It's all how much space/effort and flexibility you have to work with.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

Fil_Kay

Post by Fil_Kay » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:37 pm

Much obliged for the reply!

And yes, I know what you mean about there always being much to learn; it seems like with most things in life, there's always more details/techniques/factors/whatever to explore.

I haven't really looked at the brew systems or souring processes on the forum, but I have been looking around a bit (have been reading Milk The Funk for some background info on souring recently). I had originally planned on using a propane burner outside, but after doing a bit of reading and looking at some brew setups online I'm leaning towards the electric to do it inside. Given the temperature and time requirements for kettle souring, it would be ideal to do those in the same vessel rather than having to boil on one setup (e.g., propane) and then maintain heat on another setup (likely electric).

With regards to the RB or GF setups: they are certainly tempting, especially for maintaining temperatures for kettle souring, but I doubt I'll end up getting one unless I find one for a great price in the classifieds. I'm not one that can leave well-enough alone, and I tend to have very specific goals/aims with my gear, so chances are I'd be spending time/money to modify any setup I have. I think putting together my own kettle/heater element setup (or buying one off the forums) and then setting up a temperature controller for it, as well as making my own wort chiller, would likely get me something more suitable for my needs and may even save me money compared to buying a new RB. But, I'm still figuring out what I'm really after, so an RB may actually fit my needs. I'll have to figure out what I really want over the next few weeks before committing to a setup.

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:07 am

With a burner and a 15 gal pot its easy to start all grain with brew in a bag. I still go back to mine from time to time for single med/low gravity batches. With a cooler you can evolve to batch sparges.

Keep an eye on classifieds, (here and kijiji). With some mechanical/electrical aptitude and waiting for sales, (i.e. boxing day) you can certainly save a few $$ in building a Frankenstein setup......emphasis on the stein :rockin:
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:25 pm

I have a kegle with a 1/2" valve I don't use.

Sandy

Fil_Kay

Post by Fil_Kay » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:38 pm

GAM wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:25 pm
I have a kegle with a 1/2" valve I don't use.

Sandy
Hey Sandy;

I was talking to Blake at MWBE and I believe he mentioned you as someone to reach out to. I'll shoot you a DM to get some more details, but this may be something I'm interested in. This likely isn't something I'll need until the new year, however, so if you're not in a rush to get rid of it then we can chat.

As for sparging: I need to look a bit more into the multiple-vessel vs BIAB setups. It sounds like the BIAB is simpler due to reduced equipment requirements, but you need a larger vessel to do a full-volume boil; the three-vessel setup sounds like you can use smaller equipment, but you need more vessels and there's a few more steps involved. I'm sure somewhere in there is my ideal setup.

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions!

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:48 pm

I usually recommending starting on a system like a RoboBrew if you're looking at going into all grain. Super simple, cheap (usually cheaper than going kettles + gas if you're starting from scratch), and eliminates a lot of variables or problems you can run into by building your own system. Nice thing about RoboBrews is almost all the fittings are standard sizes and threadings and there are no shortage of people out there that have plans or sell aftermarket fittings if there's something really specific that you don't think you'll be able to do out of the box.

If you're looking to do sours I would also suggest checking out http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Main_Page which has a ton of information on doing everything from basic kettle sours to doing more traditional mixed fermentations. I don't do kettle sours myself but am happy to answer what I can regarding sour styles.

Fil_Kay

Post by Fil_Kay » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:24 am

Yeah, I’ve been reading Milk The Funk recently to get a better idea of souring early in the process. Seems to be a great resource, especially with the bacteria data for temps and such.

I’m still debating between the various setups. Hell, I’m even considering doing small batch BIAB instead; I like beer, but don’t drink a whole lot of it, so small-batch might give me enough to play with/enjoy while letting me rotate through styles or variations regularly, as well as needing minimal extra gear (probably just a pot large enough to do a 2.5 gallon batch and the standard fermenters, etc).

I’ll see; I may see how long it takes me to get through my first dozen or so bottles before I make a decision.

Return to “New Member Introductions”