New Members - Read This

New members, introduce yourselves!
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

New Members - Read This

Post by Jimmy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:36 pm

I think it's time to do a sticky with a some general information regarding the forums, group buys, club meetings etc...so here goes.

Monthly Club Meetings

-The monthly club meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month
-Meeting location is determined on a per meeting basis. If you want to host, volunteer in the forum discussion for that months meeting (found in the "Events" forum)
-Meetings are a great opportunity to meet new/existing members, introduce yourself, and try some great homebrew & commercial beer
-There are 2 other "branches" that hold their own monthly meetings - Saaz (Sackville-Amherst Area Zymurgists), and PEI Aleanders

Group Buys

-Group buys are a great way to save yourself some money on equipment and supplies. As a group, we order in higher quantities to save money.
-All group buys are posted in the "Group Buys" forum
-You must have at least 5 posts on the forums before you can access the group buy section
-If you would like to participate in group buys, request access to the forum here. Your request will be verified by a club member, and you will be notified once you have access (usually the same day).
-Payment for each group buy is different. Payment terms will normally be posted in the topic for that particular group buy

Vendors

-If a vendor would like a subforum for their business, please send a request here
-If you are requesting a subforum, please use it or it will be removed.
-Club discounts are always welcome, seeing as how we are offering you a place to promote your product/service free of charge

Useful Suppliers

-The following link contains a list of useful suppliers re: home brewing. Feel free to add more. Please follow the link with description format to keep the topic easier to browse

Good Beer Map

-We have compiled a list/map of places to get "Good Beer" in Atlantic Canada. The Google map can be found here

:spilly:

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Graham Clark

Re: New Members - Read This

Post by Graham.C » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:09 pm

I would also add that if you are not in HRM, there are two other rouge groups that meet roughly once a month in PEI and Sackville/Amhurst area.
-Graham

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:14 pm

Rouge groups? Do you try on lipstick at your meetings?
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:13 pm

KMcK, quick on the draw!!

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:58 pm

KMcK wrote:Rouge groups? Do you try on lipstick at your meetings?
DON'T JUDGE US!!
:finger:

rogue groups
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:13 pm

I presume that when you're in Halifax you like to hang out at Rouge's Roast.
McKeggerator:

Graham.C
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Graham Clark

Post by Graham.C » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:08 am

:oops: Total fail on my typo. Rogue not rouge.
-Graham

homebrewcrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brandon

Post by homebrewcrew » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:21 am

:jerry:
JUST BREW IT

Carlos-Patagonia
Name: Carlos-Patagonia

Carlos from Patgonia-Argentina

Post by Carlos-Patagonia » Sun May 06, 2018 3:55 pm

Hi guys, I`am writing you from Patagonia, El Calafate, land of glaciers.
We are home brewers from el calafate. patagonia argentina, and to be honest, we love the Scottish Ale, but.... we want to do something more about us, the patagonian land, our grass, stepa, and diferent flavours...
Does any of you can help us with personal experiences?

Thanks a lot for your time, and remember, in Patagonia, home will allways be open...

Hope to meet you, thanks.

Carlos Margara

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Re: Carlos from Patgonia-Argentina

Post by elreplica » Sun May 06, 2018 6:56 pm

Carlos-Patagonia wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 3:55 pm
Hi guys, I`am writing you from Patagonia, El Calafate, land of glaciers.
We are home brewers from el calafate. patagonia argentina, and to be honest, we love the Scottish Ale, but.... we want to do something more about us, the patagonian land, our grass, stepa, and diferent flavours...
Does any of you can help us with personal experiences?

Thanks a lot for your time, and remember, in Patagonia, home will allways be open...

Hope to meet you, thanks.

Carlos Margara
Well...welcome Carlos...even though I’m of Scots descent, I’m more of a Euro/ New World Man...that being said, I have inlaws from your part of the world...love the Patagonia thing...it’s our reflection here in Nova Scotia...welcome aboard bro... :spilly:
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Gunner
Name: Justin

Post by Gunner » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Read & Understood - Just posted up as a new member,

Look forward to getting some good brewing info from this site. I was talking with Jeff from Everwood Ave Brew Shop and he mentioned the forum (Thanks Jeff)

GaryChaos
Name: Gary Kenny

Post by GaryChaos » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:19 pm

Out of respect for our "Amhurst" members, I suggest correcting the spelling to "Amherst" by GrahamC. Hey, does this count as a post for a shy member? :-)

Peterc
Name: Peter Cowie

Post by Peterc » Mon May 04, 2020 8:15 am

Hi. I just joined today.
Peter Cowie
Moncton

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Mon May 04, 2020 9:58 am

Welcome, Peter!
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Hopsonharvey
Name: Phil Brown

Post by Hopsonharvey » Thu May 07, 2020 1:55 pm

Hi. I just joined the group. I am looking at helpng my son in doing an all-grain Belgian Saison. I have a kit from Noble Grape that my son bought home (it was the only kit they had) we have a 5 gallon pot with lid, primary and secondary fermenters.
I don’t have a mash tun.

Can I mash in my 5 gallon pot, insulate it with blankets for the duration of the mash, then strain the contents through a sieve, sparge till I get 6.5 gallons of wort, then boil the wort in two batches of 3.25 gallons, dividing my hops equally between each batch, then combine the batches in the primary, pitch my yeast and follow the steps from there?

Phil Brown
Dartmouth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Post by Tim Gregory » Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 pm

Welcome! You'd probably be better to get a big paint straining bag to hold the grains during the mash. Look up brew in a bag.

TheBucker
Verified User
Verified User
Name: TheBucker

Post by TheBucker » Tue May 12, 2020 8:18 pm

Hello everyone!

I recently joined the group as a way to connect locally and to look for hints, tips, and advice as a new brewer. I have three completed brews - Stout, IPA, and a Smoked Porter. Currently, I have a simple pale ale in the fermenter...and already looking forward to the next brew(s).

Looking forward to the chats.
Sean
Kegged: Irish Dry Stout, NEIPA
Fermenting: Lutra 'Lager'
On deck: Grapefruit IPA

higdon1976
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Chris Higdon

Post by higdon1976 » Wed May 13, 2020 12:38 pm

Hey Sean - welcome. I joined for the same reasons.

I’m planning on brewing my first all grain IPA this weekend.

Anyone have a suggestion for a favourite IPA recipe? I have cascade hops on the way from northwest hop farms, so something with cascade would be cool.
On tap:
Belgian Dubbel
Cream Ale
SMaSH Lager
Coffee stout

Fermenting:

Up next:
Baltic Porter
Sierra Nevada Pale

Tomead
Name: Tom Spence

New Member making mead

Post by Tomead » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:19 pm

Hi all,
I am a Bluenoser, originally from Springhill now living near Chester and I have been making mead from local Nova Scotia wildflower honey for about 12 years now. I'm pretty happy with the results and have managed (after some trials and tribulations) to get a repeatable process nailed down. I'm sure there is still lots of room for improvement and expansion of the varieties possible with mead and I look forward to learning more from members here. I have access, on a once-a-year basis, to about 40-50 gallons of honey mixed with a little water that the producer can't sell because of the water that has been added. This past week I made some of it available to Brewnosers and it went like hotcakes. If interest persists I'll see if I can get more next year around this same time. I get it for free and I'll pass it on for free, in exchange for an empty bucket with lid. Happy making!
Tom

Newcomer
Name: Volodymyr

Post by Newcomer » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:57 pm

Hello,I'm new comer from Ukraine looking for friends for addaptation in Halifax,I also interested beer,but I didnt know about it,how much beeware at home ?

KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by KMcK » Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:57 pm

Welcome to Canada, Volodymyr. Where do you live?
McKeggerator:

Newcomer

Post by Newcomer » Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:48 am

KMcK wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:57 pm
Welcome to Canada, Volodymyr. Where do you live?
Thank you very much!I live in Bedford

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:37 pm

Newcomer wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:57 pm
Hello,I'm new comer from Ukraine looking for friends for addaptation in Halifax,I also interested beer,but I didnt know about it,how much beeware at home ?
Welcome Volodymyr! If you're interested in beer, you've found the right people! :)

No limit to the amount of beer you can brew at home, and if you are looking to start (or continue), you will find lots of friendly people here who can help with suggestions on equipment, ingredients, recipes, and anything else. If you are interested in learning in person, just let us know, I'm sure there will be people excited to have you over for a brew day. Cheers and бувай!

Newcomer

Post by Newcomer » Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:59 am

chalmers wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:37 pm
Newcomer wrote:
Welcome Volodymyr! If you're interested in beer, you've found the right people! :)

No limit to the amount of beer you can brew at home, and if you are looking to start (or continue), you will find lots of friendly people here who can help with suggestions on equipment, ingredients, recipes, and anything else. If you are interested in learning in person, just let us know, I'm sure there will be people excited to have you over for a brew day. Cheers and бувай!
hello, thank you, I want, but I don’t need time to raise money for equipment and, first of all, learn more English

chalmers

Post by chalmers » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:28 pm

Newcomer wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 12:59 am
chalmers wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:37 pm
Newcomer wrote:

hello, thank you, I want, but I don’t need time to raise money for equipment and, first of all, learn more English
If we drink together, your English will quickly improve, and mine will go bad, so maybe we'll meet in the middle! :)

Many of us are upgrading equipment, and more interested in it going to a good home than getting top dollar for it, so keep an eye out on Classifieds for that sort of offer.

When you are feeling up for it, please reach out via email and we can meet. If you are able, there is a meeting happening next week, you are 100% welcome and there is no requirement to bring beer or pay a fee. All for the love of beer! :cheers:

Return to “New Member Introductions”