Warning - Great Canadian Beer Expo

General beer chit chat
akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Re: Great Canadian Beer Expo

Post by akr71 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Bryan wrote:Maybe we could promote a rock concert, sell tickets, and then possibly release the band list after the tickets are sold. Seems to make about as much sense as this Beer Expo.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately, you are 100% right... and laughing is better than what reading this thread really feels like
:smackhead: :smackhead: :smackhead: :suicide:
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:39 pm

They did tell me that they would hold two tickets for me at the pre-sale rate if I like their beer list.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

chicanuck
Verified User
Verified User

Post by chicanuck » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:48 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:They did tell me that they would hold two tickets for me at the pre-sale rate if I like their beer list.
"Holding two tickets in case it sells out" is a classic hard sell by a sales guy that does not know his product.

I for one will not be paying a cover charge and $ per drink fee to gag down Molson products all night while listening to "beer drinkers" tell me how smooth Bud Light is.....no thanks, see you at Rockbottom.

- chicanuck

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:31 pm

We should plan a Brew Nosers pub crawl sometime.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:07 pm

From facebook:
All-Inclusive Tickets Now Available.

Our fans have spoken & they wanted a 1 price for entry and unlimited beer samples.
All-Inclusive tickets for $50 each are available now at http://www.greatcanadianbeerexpo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

If you previously bought tix, don't worry ... check your inbox. We have some awesome options for upgrading!

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:04 pm

I hear "craft beer" is big now, not sure what it is but I bet we can make money off of it :roll:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:51 pm

Does anybody know the people running this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:13 pm

LeafMan66_67 wrote:Response to my inquiry:
Good afternoon Derek,
We have a tentative beer list but we are awaiting final approval from ANBL, NSLC & PEILCC on our beer selections for our expos. As soon as final approval is given from them, we will post them.

All our beer for our expos will be bought directly through ANBL, NSLC & PEILCC so the breweries will most definitely be compensated.

Regards,
The GCBE Team
Regardless, brewpubs in NS aren't permitted to sell kegs, no exceptions. We are permitted to give away beer for festivals, these still need to be ordered through the NSLC.

Seems a tad odd there was no mention of actually buying the beer for the event at all. Only that Brewers must attend all 6 events, are welcome by invite only and no charge for booths (multiple times). Seems to me they'd have a potential beer list up by now given that brewers must sign a contractual agreement to attend by Dec 1st (cancellation fees apply) :lol: :lol: :lol:

PS: have a boo at the attached pdf then give 'em a call, ask the fuckers how many free tix the Brewnosers get :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great Canadian Beer Expo
C: 709.771.3634
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:19 pm

Looks like the Brewnosers get to advertise for free at the events as well. Sounds like a great ol' scam. :lol: :lol:

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Believe me Nash - I wasn't doubting what you said at all. Here's some more frome earlier today:

I see that the ticket prices and terms have changed. With an "all inclusive" ticket price, how is a brewery compensated for their time at effort and product at the Beer Expo?  

You must have a list of breweries by now? How can you sell tickets without that list? It's like promoting a rock concert without naming the main band. Or, are you simply trying to make a quick buck by selling off tickets to a "beer expo" that will feature Molson, Labatt and Moosehead products?  

Hi Derek,
We are required to purchase the beer directly through NSLC.  Basically we place the order to them, and they purchase the beers from the breweries and distributors.  NSLC are a required middle person.
In addition, we're working with the breweries to assist with staffing for their particular samples and branding at the expos.  Doing this allows us to get some smaller breweries that may not have been able to exhibit otherwise.
We are awaiting approval from NSLC on the beers we want to bring in for sampling.  Although we were told this was not a lengthy process, it's proving to take longer than expected.
I can assure you that we will have a wide-range of beers.  I believe we have between 40-50 different breweries.

As mentioned in the last e-mail, I have 3 tickets held here in your name.  Once we release our list and you make a decision, just let us know. This way, you can wait for the list without worry that tickets may not be available.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards,
The GCBE Team
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

NASH
CBA Award Winner
CBA Award Winner
Name: Nash

Post by NASH » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:33 pm

I didn't think you were doubting me, apologies if it sounded that way :cheers2:

I forgot to mention Brewers must provide four products for each session as well :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyhow, does dude think the NSLC will approve half the Brewers product but not the other half? In other words, post up the list of signed Brewers and label it as 'pending approval from the provincial liquor commissions'. Something smells funny, me thinks ;)

redoubt
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kirsten & Keely

Post by redoubt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Wow. Checked out the web page and Nash's PDF. Dodgy as fuck.

Not great for contracted breweries or for ticket purchasers. I'd be mighty pissed if I were a brewer that had signed up at this point and they weren't even advertising my product. Especially if I were one of the guys who paid the $1000 fee for a "Featured Beer". No way would I pay $50 without knowing which beers I'd be able to sample. Also, how can they do an unlimited tasting when Stillwell couldn't do open taps? Seems at least a similar concept and I wonder if it'll stay that way or if they'll change it up yet again.

Don't know if it's a scam or just really poorly organized. Probably the latter. Maybe it'll be a great event in the end but, as of right now, it's pretty darn questionable.

-Kirsten

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:19 am

BBrianBoogie wrote:I hear "craft beer" is big now, not sure what it is but I bet we can make money off of it :roll:
:lol: :rockin:

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:44 pm

Woody wrote:
BBrianBoogie wrote:I hear "craft beer" is big now, not sure what it is but I bet we can make money off of it :roll:
:lol: :rockin:
I dunno about that, the 2 assholes down the street keep cleaning me out. :spilly:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:18 pm

Hard to believe this is in 3 weeks and they still don't have a list...

Barr
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Leslie Barr

Post by Barr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:06 am

Hope it turns out to be a decent list. There is a Wintersleep and In Flight Safety concert in the city that same night. Would make for a potentially great night.
Tap 1: Little Pup Pale Ale
Tap 2: Orange Ya Glad I Said Light Beer?
Tap 3: Roof Top Rye-It
Tap 4: Straberry Vanilla Wine Soda
Tap 5: Big Brown Roof Hound

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:12 am

I'm not holding out hope on this one. Don't even know the names of the people running it. Always the first thing I look for.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:22 am

mr x wrote:I'm not holding out hope on this one. Don't even know the names of the people running it. Always the first thing I look for.
The name on the pdf Nash posted is Jonathan Brett - Managing Director

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:25 am

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2 ... -lawyers/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/j ... tion-money" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundl ... -1.2470111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

???

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:33 am

Nice, lol. Sounds like it's the same guy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:38 am

lmfao, there's a laundry list of shit on the guy, if it's the same person. Type in his name and newfoundland, then search google images and check out the links from the pics. :lol:

Also, check out Mud Immortal Newfoundland. I swear to god, there's 2 days worth of fun reading there.

http://jennabarnable.wordpress.com/2013 ... m-the-mud/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:33 am

Wow, if it's the same guy I hope the scumbag doesn't sell a fucking ticket after reading all that.

Bryan
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Name: Bryan MacDonald

Post by Bryan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:41 am

It'd be nice to get this story into the hands of CBC... although I'm sure he'd dodge the interviews.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:45 am

Mud Immortal’s concept isn’t a new one. Brett says the “mud-style races have been the craze now for the past five years around North America.”
:lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.journalexpress.ca/Sports/201 ... opefully/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Re: Warning - Great Canadian Beer Expo

Post by jacinthebox » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:17 am

I bet this guy doesn't even brew...

Do you even brew bro????
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Return to “General Beer Discussion”