Warning - Great Canadian Beer Expo

General beer chit chat
tcashin
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Warning - Great Canadian Beer Expo

Post by tcashin » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:33 pm

How long until comments on the facebook page are disabled and deleted ? Or will the page be shut down all together ?

:rocky:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:34 pm

tcashin wrote:Or will the page be shut down all together ?

:rocky:
That's what I'd expect, though the Mud Immortal one still exists.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:14 pm

What's really funny is that if you search for 'Jonathan Brett beer expo' in Google images, the first pic is the Lyle Langley image posted earlier lmfao.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:29 pm

mr x wrote:What's really funny is that if you search for 'Jonathan Brett beer expo' in Google images, the first pic is the Lyle Langley image posted earlier lmfao.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
:lol: :lol: :lol:

brufrog
Award Winner 7
Award Winner 7
Name: Craig Pinhey

Post by brufrog » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:45 am

Very cool stuff. BTW when I first saw this thread a week ago I forwarded it to Pete Stoddard who runs the SJ Beer Fest, and he quickly checked into it and said it was a scam. They hadn't booked Harbour Station or gone through ANBL. I didn't think much more about it, and hadn't checked in here for awhile. So...wow. I hope that not many people got scammed. Will they get their money back?
I drink to make others more interesting

Jeff
Name: Jeff

Post by Jeff » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:59 am

Careful with this guy. If you have a doubt it is warranted. I attended an event he put off, mudimortal. He never delivered on any of what we were promised, I mean ANYTHING. He never gave the money that he raised to a charity, as promised, and he has never taken responsibility. preferring instead to blame everyone.

My bet is that if there is possible that this can be a ripoff it will be a rip off

http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/newfou ... /1.2489470" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:09 am

There was also a bit on CBC radio HFX this morning from Jack Julian.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:15 am

Does anyone know who was the winning bidder for the government run PEI beer event?

Edit: Found it.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Business/2 ... festival/1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:46 am

Looks like tickets are no longer for sale on the website: http://www.greatcanadianbeerexpo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. All listed as "Not on sale yet". Hopefully no other people will be conned out of their money...

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:25 am

Facebook page has been changed, maybe to private settings?

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:29 am

mr x wrote:Facebook page has been changed, maybe to private settings?
Yeah, looks like it's been removed.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:02 am

Damn, that was just getting warmed up..... :lol: :lol:

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am

I emailed the venue manager for the event in my backyard (Centre 200 in Sydney) yesterday. Heard back this morning with this short message:

"Jason,

The event is cancelled.

Paul"

It is hard to get too gleeful. It sounds like there was a 99.99999% chance that this was going to be a bust (or just never happen at all), but if it had been legit, it would have been a great festival, and would have further helped expand the Maritime beer palate. :(

benwedge
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ben Wedge

Post by benwedge » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:34 am

The Cunard Centre reported it was cancelled this morning. Good sleuthing, folks.
Brewing right now: whatever is going on tap at Stillwell in a few weeks.

akr71
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Andy

Post by akr71 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:47 am

The wife was asking what the "SCAM ALERT" thing I posted on facebook was (a link to the CBC piece). I gave her the run down and then said "See, we're not just a bunch of beer geeks, we are committed to the public well-being and consumer protection!"

Well done to those who had a hand in getting the word out. :banana: :banana:
Andy
"Now son, you don't want to drink beer. That's for Daddies, and kids with fake IDs." - Homer J. Simpson

Dia
Name: Dia

Post by Dia » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:54 am

THIS EVENT IS A SCAM!!! Do not buy tickets as this guy is a Con and will take your money and run!!! I was ripped off $86.50 at the Mud Immortal challenge in Newfoundland. Look this guy up. He is a joke and belongs in jail.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:09 pm

From Mud to Suds, Brett Resurfaces in Maritimes

An event, scheduled for a number of venues across the Maritimes and organized by Jonathan Brett of Mud Immortal fame has been cancelled. VOCM's Linda Swain has more.

The Great Canadian Beer Expo was scheduled to take place at a number of venues throughout the three Maritime provinces, the first of which was scheduled for the Centre 200 in Sydney, Nova Scotia on January 24th. Centre Manager Paul MacDonald says red flags started to go up for him after they received the contract for the event, but still hadn't received a deposit. He says when he contacted other venues they also indicated they hadn't received their deposits. MacDonald tells VOCM News that he was about to cancel the event when he received a message from Brett indicating that he was cancelling 'due to unforeseen circumstances'. MacDonald says while the event sounded like a good idea, he now feels sheepish after learning more of Brett's recent history.

The Vice President of Sales and Marketing with the Cunard Centre in Halifax says her concern was with the fact that Brett was selling tickets through his own website instead of through their approved agent, Ticket Atlantic. She tells VOCM News that the event, which was tentatively booked, is not going ahead. While the event's website is still up, the area allowing people to purchase tickets has been removed. Brett was behind Mud Immortal that saw thousands of people show up to participate in Butterpot Park last September. The event led to complaints about a lack of organization and prompted a class action and RCMP investigation. VOCM's attempts to reach Brett have been unsuccessful.
http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=42300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CBClovesbeer
Name: Jack Julian

Post by CBClovesbeer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:09 pm

Hey all - It's Jack Julian here with CBC News. First off props to Brewnosers for shining a light on this story early on. Since yesterday I've been lurking and getting ideas. That PDF you grabbed was very helpful in attempting to contact Jonathan Brett. He's dodging all my emails, phonecalls, texts and Facebook messages so far.
Anyway, I really want to do a follow tonight. My boss says I have 20 minutes to find people who bought tickets to this event and are pissed off and trying to get a refund. If I can find folks willing to go on camera, then she'll assign me.
Any takers?
I'm on my cell at 902 456 9180 in Halifax.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:16 pm

Get on it people!

CBClovesbeer
Name: Jack Julian

Post by CBClovesbeer » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:23 pm

Hmmm... my phone is mysteriously silent. If anyone knows anyone... friend of a friend who bought tix? I'm still hoping...
Jack

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:54 pm

I don't think you'll find anyone here who bought tickets, we were pretty much sending up red flags about it. It never passed the smell test from day one. Thanks for helping get the word out. Hopefully nobody gets burned on tickets....

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:57 pm

What X said. It's not apathy or shyness.

Sandy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Something I think that should be researched by the media is if NSLC was actually ever involved, and vetted this event. I sent an email to them about it, but never got a response.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:01 pm

CBClovesbeer wrote:Hey all - It's Jack Julian here with CBC News. First off props to Brewnosers for shining a light on this story early on. Since yesterday I've been lurking and getting ideas. That PDF you grabbed was very helpful in attempting to contact Jonathan Brett. He's dodging all my emails, phonecalls, texts and Facebook messages so far.
Anyway, I really want to do a follow tonight. My boss says I have 20 minutes to find people who bought tickets to this event and are pissed off and trying to get a refund. If I can find folks willing to go on camera, then she'll assign me.
Any takers?
I'm on my cell at 902 456 9180 in Halifax.
I think this was a good place to post this. At any one time, there are many guests viewing this thread. Last time I looked at the bottom, there were 10 guests reading this thread. It's possible that some of those guests had bought tickets, and that's why they were looking up about this.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:05 pm

Jack, I can send out a message to all members, but you aren't going to get anybody in time for today's news now. If you still want somebody for tomorrow, let me know, and I'll send it out. I highly doubt you'll find anyone, but you never know, and no harm in asking.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”