General beer chit chat
oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Re: Beer in the news

Post by oceanic_brew » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:34 am

McGruff wrote:https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... e-to-wynne

Looks like Wynne got the last laugh after all.
Woah! what a mess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:05 am

Oh yea. When I read it, I was so glad I make my own beer and don't give a hoot where it is sold. I don't buy beer that often, but if I do it is usually from a local brewery.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:15 am

McGruff wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:36 am
https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... e-to-wynne

Looks like Wynne got the last laugh after all.
Not derail this with politics, but a news article would be better than an opinion column from the Sun. Here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5101868

The penalties for breaking the contract (allowing >450 convenience stores to sell beer) has been public since 2015, and if Dougie didn't research his proposed policy well enough to know that before the election, then the only suckers here are the Ontario electorate.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:44 am

On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:01 pm

That one is interesting. The court case will be about the legality of conducting alcohol screening on drivers regardless of suspicion. But the offensive thing is entirely separate, and would be upsetting regardless if the officer was suspicion:
McLeod says she was unable to properly blow into the roadside screening device because she has an implant in the roof of her mouth as a result of cancer, and also has a chronic lung condition. The officer felt she was purposefully sabotaging the test and deemed it a refused breath sample.

Under B.C.’s impaired driving regime, McLeod’s licence was immediately suspended for 90 days and her car was impounded for 30 days. She is also subject to a $250 driver’s licence reinstatement fee, the cost of towing and storage fees for her car (likely around $800), and the $930 registration fee for a responsible driving class
Conditioning:

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Thu May 02, 2019 7:56 pm

I think this particular case is being used to challenge the new law because of that extenuating circumstance with the womans medical condition. However the point remains that the police do not and should not have the authority to detain or question you without cause.
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Tue May 07, 2019 7:58 am

KB1138 wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:56 pm
I think this particular case is being used to challenge the new law because of that extenuating circumstance with the womans medical condition

Yeah I get that.
However the point remains that the police do not and should not have the authority to detain or question you without cause.
If you're walking down the street, I agree (and so does most everyone except police forces, who like carding). Once you put driving into the equation, it changes a bit - the police have the right to do sobriety checks at roadblocks (confirmed by the supreme Court in 1992). It makes this an interesting case and I look forward to following it along!
Conditioning:

bandarker
Verified User
Verified User
Name: wee

Post by bandarker » Thu May 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Not sure if you guys saw this - Boston Beer (Sam Adams) either bought or is merging with Dogfish Head

https://www.brewbound.com/news/boston-b ... llion-deal

Toni
Name: Toni

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:46 am

CBC picking up on the Nine Locks controversy:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5372238

Honest question: is dirty blonde a style of beer? I think the suggestion is that it's hazy or unfiltered, but I've never heard of "dirty" being used to describe beer, only glassware :lol:

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Post by elreplica » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:15 am

Toni wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:46 am
CBC picking up on the Nine Locks controversy:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5372238

Honest question: is dirty blonde a style of beer? I think the suggestion is that it's hazy or unfiltered, but I've never heard of "dirty" being used to describe beer, only glassware :lol:
Toni, you’re fast! I had one the other day (the beer) and wasn’t really fond of it. I then realized it was a Hef blonde...Picaroons blonde ale blows it away...but now that the PC morons have jumped on Nine Locks I think I’ll buy some after work today ffs...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:59 pm

A quick ctrl-F of the word dirty in the 2015 bjcp guidelines makes no reference to the word; and that covers style, description and example names
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Toni

Post by Toni » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:05 pm

Nine Locks' beer has always been hit and miss for me. It's obvious that they are targeting a certain audience with their marketing for their blonde (marketing which I don't care for), but what bothers me more is the overly-defensive reaction by the brewery and their social media defenders. I'm sure they won't see much, if any, drop in sales, but they've certainly alienated a lot of people.

Take a note of how Tusket Falls handled the Hanging Oak controversy. They admitted they didn't know the lynching connotation and rebranded within a week or so. No need to go on about being unfairly targeted, threaten lawsuits, and complain how you can't live in a pc world.

Also, for anyone that says that nsbeermemes was being overly critical (they were), here's some advice: don't feed the trolls :lol:

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:29 pm

Ok...now...I'm offended by "Puck Off" - love the beer but a born again is going to take offence to that - and its foul language allusion. Never mind the other beers that might offend Christians with references to their saviours being of a certain colour and carb level...If we decide to parse language etymologically and especially "butt hurtedly", then it is truly a sad proof of Orwell's harbinger of Newspeak...As for the Hanging Tree thing from Tusket most city slicking Philistines have no idea on how deer - or moose - whatever - were hanged before butchering. My BIL and other relatives -and being Mi'Kmaq - saw no reason to erase that. Tusket caved because of the Orwellian fvcks that step up to scream every time they read into something construed as offensive. Well folks...there are some good breweries here that use lingo, labels and terminology that some will spin as offensive. They're the same churchladies(churchpersons) that tried to rail against people listening to Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin back in the day - that satanic messages were being transmitted when records were played backwards. How much time - and I will say "fucking" time...and intellectual energy - do these people have to invest? I'll reach out and say that many - if not most - need to RDWAHAHB and barring that - go get a job.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:40 pm

Toni wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:05 pm
Nine Locks' beer has always been hit and miss for me. It's obvious that they are targeting a certain audience with their marketing for their blonde (marketing which I don't care for), but what bothers me more is the overly-defensive reaction by the brewery and their social media defenders. I'm sure they won't see much, if any, drop in sales, but they've certainly alienated a lot of people.

Take a note of how Tusket Falls handled the Hanging Oak controversy. They admitted they didn't know the lynching connotation and rebranded within a week or so. No need to go on about being unfairly targeted, threaten lawsuits, and complain how you can't live in a pc world.

Also, for anyone that says that nsbeermemes was being overly critical (they were), here's some advice: don't feed the trolls :lol:
If I recall, they - and many others down our way - knew that hanging trees aren't always used for hanging people... many old skool westerns used "hanging trees" (think "Hang Him HIgh") with Clint Eastwood and maybe before your time and I was young but still remember as my brother is a film buff. They offered a rebuttal but wisely knowing that many urban rats would take offense - and not have a clue - how we used to get our meat protein. Yet most will smugly roll into their Rotten Ronald's or abbatoir supplied national meat purveyor for their fix. If this PC mentally challenged shyte continues, we should all drink beer from plain labelled silver alumium cans or brown bottles - with a postal code embedded - to guide us to the origin.

Toni

Post by Toni » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:59 am

The thing is, it's not the name of the beer that people have an issue with. The name Hanging Oak is one thing, but a picture of a tree with a noose hanging from a branch is an issue as the first impression for many is lynching (which was a much bigger thing in the US). If they didn't have the noose, or had a piece of meat hanging from the branch, or whatever, then it would probably be fine. It was an unintentional reference.

Same with Dirty Blonde, only that was an intentional reference. That beer has been around for a few years, but it wasn't until Nine Locks started their billboard/interwebs lazy marketing using obvious sexual innuendo that they started getting complaints.

The other difference between the two is that Tusket just went ahead and changed their branding, whereas Nine Locks decided to antagonize anyone who complained.

One thing that surprises me is how Nine Locks was able to use that marketing while selling at the LC. The LC made Sober Island rename a beer right away, but are only now saying Nine Locks violated some of their policies (don't know the specifics).

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:08 pm

I think this topic deserves some thought, before writing it off.

The name, in and of itself isn't the only problem. There is no such style as "dirty blonde", nor is that industry speak for an unfiltered beer. That is pure obfuscation, and an outright lie. However, let's unpack this a little further...

A tshirt that says "Everybody loves a dirty blonde from Dartmouth" goes from something questionable to something else.

Take a second to consider how you might feel if you were a woman. I mean really do that. Women who admit they like sex as much men do have been called "dirty" or "slutty" by men (and definitely by other women, but that's a separate discussion) my whole life, and long before that.

Woman continue to be sexually assaulted, while rarely getting any justice. Instead, many have had their sexual histories brought up in court (and definitely outside of it), as if that determines their credibility. They've been sexually assaulted by cab drivers, in their workplaces, on dates...

Instead of viewing it in isolation, take a second to think about it as part of something larger. How far should the boys club/nudge nudge, wink wink thing go? Are you fine with calling a woman a slut behind her back? How about rape jokes?

I think we can do better.

Is there some PC stuff that makes me roll my eyes? Yes:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5371433

I don't think the Nine Locks thing fits in that category. Our language says a lot about how we think, and language affects how we treat people. Derogatory terms make it easier in our minds to treat people unfairly.

You don't have to agree, but at least I hope you'll honestly consider another perspective before making your mind up.

mdentremont
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Matt d'Entremont

Post by mdentremont » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:26 pm

BBrianBoogie wrote:I think this topic deserves some thought, before writing it off.

The name, in and of itself isn't the only problem. There is no such style as "dirty blonde", nor is that industry speak for an unfiltered beer. That is pure obfuscation, and an outright lie. However, let's unpack this a little further...

A tshirt that says "Everybody loves a dirty blonde from Dartmouth" goes from something questionable to something else.

Take a second to consider how you might feel if you were a woman. I mean really do that. Women who admit they like sex as much men do have been called "dirty" or "slutty" by men (and definitely by other women, but that's a separate discussion) my whole life, and long before that.

Woman continue to be sexually assaulted, while rarely getting any justice. Instead, many have had their sexual histories brought up in court (and definitely outside of it), as if that determines their credibility. They've been sexually assaulted by cab drivers, in their workplaces, on dates...

Instead of viewing it in isolation, take a second to think about it as part of something larger. How far should the boys club/nudge nudge, wink wink thing go? Are you fine with calling a woman a slut behind her back? How about rape jokes?

I think we can do better.

Is there some PC stuff that makes me roll my eyes? Yes:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-sco ... -1.5371433

I don't think the Nine Locks thing fits in that category. Our language says a lot about how we think, and language affects how we treat people. Derogatory terms make it easier in our minds to treat people unfairly.

You don't have to agree, but at least I hope you'll honestly consider another perspective before making your mind up.
Very well said Brian. I too believe the name of the beer is harmless, but the marketing campaign behind it was very cringeworthy and should probably be changed (which I believe Nine Locks has agreed to do). One slogan they used which comes to mind is "I went home with a dirty blonde from Dartmouth", and it is just plain embarrassing. I can imagine the sales of that shirt to women were non-existent.

Tusket initially did respond pretty strongly that they wouldn't change the name of their beer, but then changed it a couple weeks later. That was a pretty smart move in my opinion, because it fueled the fire, giving them a ton of free publicity, especially when they had just opened. They also had no worries of offending the locals, as most (myself included) know the hanging oak well due to the roller-coaster-like feeling you get when you drive by due to the massive drop in the road (mom used to take that route on purpose as we loved it).

I wouldn't be surprised if Nine Locks ends up doing the same, as renaming the beer will lead to further news articles, giving them loads of free marketing (especially when they already need to come up with a new marketing strategy).

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:20 pm

There are some fair points made here (marketing campaign statements by Nine Locks) but the name (Dirty Blonde) is what I take issue with. If it's not filtered or doesn't match the colour profile EBC, SRB or whatever, then that's not such a stretch to call it "dirty". There was no DIPA or a number of styles that exist today - when I first started brewing, so please stop referncing style history and BJCP labels - that stifles creativity. I revised "stifle" for those who might be butthurt if I used "kill". Oh - and Red Racer's Dirty Blonde label has a provocative woman on it that is oh so offensive. It's the Newspeak revisionism and interpretations I take exception to. I emailed Boxing Rock (Emily) about the rabbit hole and witch hunt the "language twisters" and revisionists are willing to go down. So...Durty Nellies needs to change because we all know the connotation about that slutty place. My Mi'Kmaq Dorey inlaws could certainly take exception to Boxing Rock's "Hunky Dory" moniker - especially one having a Hungarian wife. To sum, let's keep on playing those Zep records backwards - to end up with bland (dirty or otherwise) packaged beers in silver cans and amber bottles. Your graphic arts community will thank you.

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:57 am

Don, I really feel like you are being purposefully antagonistic about this issue. As a woman brewer, this kind of stuff makes me feel disrespected and unsafe in my own community.

In particular, this:
elreplica wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:35 am
I used to indulge in an extra dirty blonde...not from Dartmouth though. Peterborough actually...
:banana:
Was totally unnecessary.

I'm very disappointed, frankly, to see that you are unable to consider how someone else might be made to feel by the marketing campaign, by your insistence that any objections are part of some kind of Orwellian thought policing, and that you are unable to have an intelligent conversation about it without devolving into name calling and obfuscation.

Typically, I feel like the Brewnosers have made this community pretty inclusive for the few women who do frequent the forum and events and I really appreciate the others who have weighed in on this topic with thoughtful and empathetic arguments.

I won't be commenting any further on the matter.

oceanic_brew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Glen O'Keefe

Post by oceanic_brew » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:13 pm

the Beer in the news thread is gonna make the Beer in the news thread.

Then we’ll all get sucked into an internet black hole and cease to exist. We need to focus on the true issue at hand here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:27 pm

Interesting conversation. Read a few points that I didn't hear elsewhere. Some thoughts of mine:

Describing a food product as "dirty" wouldn't generally make it appealing. There's no way the intention isn't the sexual reference.

Brian you mentioned you read dirty to mean slutty. Words mean different things to different people. I initially read it from a more sex positive stand meaning kinky, fun, adventurous, but seeing how other people interpret the words lets me understand why they dislike the campaign. If I had interpreted the campaign as saying "bring home a slut from dartmouth" I would probably never buy their beer again, that's just disrespectful.

Maybe they did intend for that to be the message to the people that would act positively to that and to be a coded message to the rest of us, I don't know. I don't think there's reason to assume malice.

As a gay man, I didn't automatically assume the ads were suggesting you bring home a female dirty blonde from dartmouth. They never mention gender in their ads. I understand why some people would assume the gender though, it probably was intended although the campaign never mentions gender.

Thanks for weighing in Jenn, definitely good to hear your perspective

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:34 pm

I always took the word dirty to mean the opposite of fermented clean, or maybe something like the dirty in Big Spruce's Tim's Dirty IPA (something to do with hop selection? I can't remember). It didn't seem like something I wanted to think too hard about, since I don't usually drink their beers. I did like their IPA last time I had it though.

I'm not as eloquent as Brian, but I agree that we can do better. This sort of nonsense might have been viewed as acceptable 5 or 10 years ago, but I'd like to think that things have gotten somewhat better since then. The fact that this is even being discussed at all instead of laughed at is something.

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

Post by danlatimer » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:39 pm

The Dirty in Tim's Dirty was because the malt fell on the floor haha :D. I've noticed they changed their cans in the NSLC to just Tim's IPA now.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:59 pm

darciandjenn wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:57 am
Don, I really feel like you are being purposefully antagonistic about this issue. As a woman brewer, this kind of stuff makes me feel disrespected and unsafe in my own community.

In particular, this:
elreplica wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:35 am
I used to indulge in an extra dirty blonde...not from Dartmouth though. Peterborough actually...
:banana:
Was totally unnecessary.

I'm very disappointed, frankly, to see that you are unable to consider how someone else might be made to feel by the marketing campaign, by your insistence that any objections are part of some kind of Orwellian thought policing, and that you are unable to have an intelligent conversation about it without devolving into name calling and obfuscation.

Typically, I feel like the Brewnosers have made this community pretty inclusive for the few women who do frequent the forum and events and I really appreciate the others who have weighed in on this topic with thoughtful and empathetic arguments.

I won't be commenting any further on the matter.
Nope...I prefaced my comments by stating (or implied) that their campaign comments might be out of line - just as you likely have misconstrued mine - when in fact a good friend of mine brewed a wickedly good extra dirty blonde pale ale and just so happened to live outside Peterborough near Millbrook. I have the utmost respect for women firstly - and double that if she happens to be a brewer, even if she happens to have dirty blonde hair. Furthermore, I fail to see your point about I name called anyone - nor was I trying to obfuscate anything. On that note, you have a good day ma'am (hopefully not offensive)and have a brew.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:01 pm

danlatimer wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:39 pm
The Dirty in Tim's Dirty was because the malt fell on the floor haha :D. I've noticed they changed their cans in the NSLC to just Tim's IPA now.
That...is funny...and indicative of how people are so scared of saying anything these days. I thought I saw some cans with "dirty" on them - must be old stock.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”