Brew With Well Water?

General beer chit chat
BAbrewing
Verified User
Verified User

Brew With Well Water?

Post by BAbrewing » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:40 am

Hi Community,

Does anyone here use their well water to brew with? I just bought a new house in Wolfville and I was hoping to brew this weekend. I have not had the water tested but it is safe to drink and tastes much better than HRM City water. Any suggestions of how I should treat the water are appreciated.

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Re: Brew With Well Water?

Post by JamesM80 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:37 pm

I just went with an Amazon RO filter and just add salts as necessary (pretending it is basically distilled water). Here's what I picked up.

https://youtu.be/9EeNPTgmeI0

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:44 am

I would get it tested and then you can figure out if you need to add anything else to brew with. Brewers Friend is ideal for that.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:42 am

Definitely have your water tested and you will have your numbers going forward. I always brew with my well water and can manipulate it pretty good. If you are brewing this weekend blind you may just notice efficiency is low depending on the style. For some styles I blend with some RO water to get it really dialed in. My water is slightly hard so I need to use quite a bit of Lactic Acid to reduce the PH and I add canning salts, calcium chloride, gypsum and Epsom as and when required. If you don't get it tested your efficiency may suffer as your mash won't be in the sweet spot of 5.0 to 5.6 . I usually aim for 5.2 to 5.3. Plug your numbers into brewing software like EZ Water or Brewers friend for a mash PH prediction and see how it compares to a PH meter while dialing things in.

JayColli
Name: Jay Colli

Post by JayColli » Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:52 pm

Is your well drilled or dug? I have a dug well and the composition changes so no real point in working off test results. I bought an RO system and as suggested previously, just pretend it’s distilled and build my profile from zero.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:33 pm

Drilled well here.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:37 am

My well water is no good for drinking and the built in RO system is too slow to fill 30 litres for a brew day. I found the 5 gallon jugs from Sobeys are a cheap alternative
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Return to “General Beer Discussion”