Smoothie beer?

General beer chit chat
cagiva650
Name: Frank

Smoothie beer?

Post by cagiva650 » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:43 am

What do you think? Is this going to be the new thing?

"Essentially, smoothie beers are high alcohol and very acidic sours that have fruit purée blended in after fermentation, creating a thicker, smoothie-like drinking texture. They tend to go down as easily as the non-alcoholic variety."

https://nowtoronto.com/food-and-drink/w ... -breweries
Kde se pivo vaří, tam se dobře daří. Where beer is brewed, life is good.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Re: Smoothie beer?

Post by amartin » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:55 am

Ha, I wouldn’t be surprised. Call me old fashioned, or a cranky old man, but I still prefer beer flavoured beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:42 pm

This
amartin wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:55 am
Ha, I wouldn’t be surprised. Call me old fashioned, or a cranky old man, but I still prefer beer flavoured beer.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:34 pm

Not my thing but lots of traditional styles aren't either, I think my main problem with them is the amount of breweries (thankfully none here that I'm aware of) packaging them in cans with high enough residual sugar that they have to print "keep refrigerated" on them so they don't explode, which is pretty reckless and probably shouldn't be legal.

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:38 pm

I’ve never had one but I love fruit beers. I usually prefer when the fruit is fermented first but I can picture the malt flavours playing nice with sweet fruit if the overall drink is nice and tart.

My plan is to dose the fruit into the glass because I don’t think a corny poppet will handle the fruit. Not 100% sure on the recipe but my current plan is to use the lacto from escarpment labs that came from the hornindal mix and then hornindal a couple days later. Thinking a light touch of amber malt and light crystal to give it some graham cracker/cake/pie type flavours and then cinnamon in a fresh peach purée that goes in the glass. The lacto is supposed to have notes of vanilla so I’m hoping not to have to add any to the puree. Anyone have thoughts/tips?
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

AnnaMia
Name: AnnaMia

Post by AnnaMia » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:37 am

amartin wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:55 am

I also prefer that perfect authentic beer flavor, no "impurities" :rockin: :rockin:

Return to “General Beer Discussion”