Milkshake IPA's!

General beer chit chat
gwoods22
Name: Graeme

Milkshake IPA's!

Post by gwoods22 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:45 pm

I used to live in Ontario and if you are familiar with Flying Monkeys, you must know about their amazing Live Transmission milkshake IPA! I've been craving that sweet, creamy goodness and would love to know what your favourite Milkshake IPA's are? Are there any breweries in HRM that are currently making one that I could pick up?
:cheers2:
Cheers!

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Re: Milkshake IPA's!

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:21 pm

Tidehouse does some but i'm not sure if there is one on now or not. I can't think of any others right now.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:19 pm

Kind of was a shortlived thing, like champagne IPAs. Might be some from Trailway still? Other than that I suspect they're probably the way of the dodo unless they make a comeback.

Taylor Vanbrewer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Taylor

Post by Taylor Vanbrewer » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:27 pm

Milkshake IPAs are a pretty maligned style around here, mostly because by and large most breweries have missed the mark and the good ones are brewed rarely and harder to obtain. Trailway, Tusket Falls, Big Spruce, Tidehouse, Bannerman (NFLD) and Tide and Boar all have/are making them to various levels of success. For my money Bannerman, Tide and Boar and Tusket Falls are doing the best job with the style. Keep an eye on the Bishop's cellar website, Tusket Falls and Trailway have both released their milkshake IPAs this year and Bishop's had them.

For Tide and Boar or Bannerman, you will need to make friends in Moncton and St John's respectively.

Finally you could search google for a Ontario bottle shop that both ships here and often carries Third Moon, Badlands, Wood Brothers, Bellwoods and/or Blood Brothers and buy milkshake IPAs that regularly slay. If such a business existed, and had cheap flat rate shipping, like say $19 for 12 bottles or 24 cans or some mixture thereof... that would be pretty cool.
Certified BJCP Judge/Punk Rock aficionado/Witless Dullard

Fermenting: Best Bitter

Lagering/Conditioning: Bouchet
Orange Blossom mead

Bottled/Conditioning: Apricot multigrain mixed ferm saison
Mixed ferm saison
Wit
Historic Barleywine

gwoods22
Name: Graeme

Post by gwoods22 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Thanks for the info! Funny enough, I stopped in to the 9 Locks Taproom in Halifax and coincidentally they had a Milkshake IPA on tap! Quite delicious!

Return to “General Beer Discussion”