Grain Storage Times

General beer chit chat
Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Grain Storage Times

Post by Peterpasha » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:53 pm

I've been trying to find the answer to this on various places, but haven't really gotten it answered to my satisfaction:

How important is airtightness to the storage of unmilled grain and how long before it goes stale? I've read Brulosophy's post on brewing with the fresh milled vs. stored milled grain, but that doesn't really answer the question either.
At various times I've used the 5 gallon pails and the gasket seal lids to split up and store grain; I've also used the rubbermaid-style bins and before I drop $60+ on airtight Vittles Vault style containers, I'd like to know what everyone else feels about this. I'd really like to use the storage boxes with the hinged angle lid from IKEA to store my grain in, good mix of stackability and easy to access, but those lids are really loose-fitting, more sitting on the box than snapped to it. BYO.com says "Any quantity of malted barley, whether it’s a 50-pound sack of two-row or a one-pound bag of crystal, should be stored in containers that keep the grains airtight and dry." But the bags that we buy grain in bulk aren't exactly airtight, so how long can it sit at the malt warehouse before they consider it stale? And if the bags that we buy it in aren't airtight, then why should I store it in airtight containers? As long as it's kept dry, away from insects/animals and isn't exposed to direct sunlight, shouldn't it be fine to brew with upwards of a year+?
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Re: Grain Storage Times

Post by jason.loxton » Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:32 pm

I think the basic answer is that all organic products are going to degrade, the more you restrict oxygen and moisture, the slower the process will be. It seems that moisture is the real killer with grain. An airtight seal will grab you (in theory) a bit more time, but just retying the bag it came in if it is a cool dry place should get you more than enough time to brew.

Briess says roasted malt stored dry will start to experience a 'slight' decrease in quality after 18 months. Regular malt is supposed to be best within 6 months. http://blog.brewingwithbriess.com/about/

I think this is another thing we worry about too much.

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Post by Peterpasha » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:14 am

I think this is another thing we worry about too much.
Good Answer!
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:41 pm

My 55 lb. bag of Pils malt from Germany says a year right on the bag.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:30 pm

I've used 4-5 year old malt and made great beer. I've left it in the original bag with a twist tie. Would I enter it in a competition where a trained judge who can pick out a fly fart from my beer would taste it? Hell no! Well not anymore haha. So I say use older malt for yourself and buy fresh for comps. Anything under a year is fresh to me. With hops as we all know oxygen is also the enemy. Like oxygen in our brewing process by keeping it out after pitching the yeast this will only increase the longevity and freshness of the beer.

With less hoppy beer it will take a lot longer to oxidized based on our set up's and brewing practice. If you aren't brewing professionally and drink your beer at a reasonable pace aside from big hoppy beer does it matter if it oxidizes down the road if you drink it quick? I think its hard to find an answer and the pros use product faster than we do. So if the malt tastes good use it. I always taste it first if I have any doubt. Let the grain sit on your pallet for 10-15 seconds and chew it. If it tastes good I say go for it. If you are entering a comp use the fresh stuff. As for hops nitrogen flushed and vacuum sealed only and use fresh yeast or that has been given the love to bring it back to life.

Before I knew better I used to not purge my auto syphon, lines or kegs. Now I will only makes IPA's in fermenters I can pressure transfer under CO2 and purge the lines and kegs. I find the beer tastes better for a longer period of time. If I'm using an auto syphon I take the first sample and use that for a hydrometer sample and toss or drink it. Line is purged and take it from there.

So to make a long story longer I say use it. I think ever brewer should try old hops, malt and see what they think. I've made a lot of bad beer and it's taught me a ton. :cheers2:

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:34 pm

I thought I tasted something off in your last beer, Woody! ;)

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Woody » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:05 am

:-D :moon: :chug:

Love you too Chris!! :banana:

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Post by JamesM80 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:58 am

Woody wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:30 pm
I think ever brewer should try old hops, malt and see what they think. I've made a lot of bad beer and it's taught me a ton. :cheers2:
You just gave me some motivation to brew up a very old batch from Everwood that I never got around to. Pretty sure it is from Fall 2018... I'll toss the hops that lost the vacuum seal and add some home grown, but interested to see what kind of musty flavours I can come up with! Also, It doesn't really cost anything but time and I have a friend down the street that will drink anything, so it won't go to waste. A learning experience.
Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Woody » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:48 pm

If your grain is milled you may run into issues but have a taste and you'll know. If it's not milled 2 year old grain will be fine. I've had much better luck worrying about pitching the right amount of yeast and fermenting at the right temperature. Let us know how it turns out.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”