2 Stage Mashing

General beer chit chat
Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

2 Stage Mashing

Post by Peterpasha » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:12 am

I brewed 10 gallons of a hazelnut stout yesterday and at a 25.5 lb grain bill, it was just on the edge of what I can brew. When I added the strike water, my mash tun was full to within about 1" of overflowing and as it started to circulate through the HERMS coil, I was thinking, "jeez, if there is a hitch anywhere, I'm going to have a disaster on my hands!" But it all came out okay at 1.056 OG, but it got me thinking ...
Has anyone tried, or heard of, doing a 2 separate mashes, either dividing your grain bill in half or mashing all the base grain in one batch and then all the adjuncts in another, combining them in the kettle for the boil?
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Re: 2 Stage Mashing

Post by ConanTroutman » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:59 am

You can definitely do multiple separate mashes, a common technique however is reiterative mashing which involves mashing once then using that wort as strike water to mash a second time. Commonly used for making things like imperial stouts where you may not have the capacity for that amount of grain in a single mash.

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:30 am

Yup. When I first started all grain I did BIAB for 10l on back to back nights for a full 20l batch. 10l was the most I could do at a time so I made it work. Just divide the whole grain bill in half, I wouldn't recommend doing base malt in one mash an adjuncts in another
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Post by Peterpasha » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Thanks for the replies!
On Tap: