fermentation time & need to repitch yeast at bottling

General beer chit chat
congay
Name: congay

fermentation time & need to repitch yeast at bottling

Post by congay » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:49 am

Hi all, still relatively new at this, working on my 6th batch now, a Belgian Dubbel. Here are the ingredients I used: 12.5 lbs 2 row, 1 lb special B, 1 lb Caramunich, 1.25 lbs homemade Belgian candi sugar, .75 lbs Turbinado cane sugar, and 1 oz of Saaz hop pellets. I got an OG of 1.074, then fermented with Wyeast 3787. I gave it 10 days in the primary and it's now been in the secondary for 5 days. Got curious and took a gravity reading last night, and was a bit surprised to see how low it was - 1.004. I was alarmed that it might not taste right, so I took a sample, and while a little hot, was relieved that it's already delish. I have two questions:
1. Since my I've already reached and surpassed my FG goal, how much longer should I wait until I bottle?
2. When I do bottle, should I repitch some yeast into the bottling bucket because it's become a fairly high gravity beer?

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Re: fermentation time & need to repitch yeast at bottling

Post by Woody » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:51 am

Many big beers taste hot or boozy when they are young and will smooth out after some age. With Belgian yeast you can get that low of a gravity. It's a Trappist Yeast not Saison so I would not have expected a FG quite that low but close. I'd calibrate your hydrometer and let it age a month or so. I would not add more yeast at bottling just some corn sugar but that's all preference.

Hobbitfu
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Funk

Re: fermentation time & need to repitch yeast at bottling

Post by Hobbitfu » Sun Aug 28, 2016 9:59 pm

Adding extra yeast at bottling can be a tough call. I've had 10% beers that carb great without. Also had a 10% Belgian Tripel that barely carbed... In that case it had a similar very low final gravity and Yeast cake was very compact in fermenter. It wouldn't hurt anything to add extra yeast. If anything should speed up carbonation.

Return to “General Beer Discussion”