Brightwood Brewing Company

General beer chit chat
KMcK
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kyle

Post by KMcK » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:26 pm

Hmmm. I'm getting some Bridge/North déjà vu.
Screen Shot 2016-07-17 at 12.41.18 PM.png
P1050542.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
McKeggerator:
  • no beer :(

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: Brightwood Brewing Company

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Meh, similar, but Brightwood is clearly the MacDonald Bridge - it has the big lift gear in the pic.

spickup
Verified User
Verified User

Post by spickup » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:10 pm

I would think their biggest issue would be Brightwood golf course.

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:59 pm

Jimmy wrote:Meh, similar, but Brightwood is clearly the MacDonald Bridge - it has the big lift gear in the pic.
Except Bridge Brewing is named for the Lion's Gate bridge - which was the previous "Big Lift" deck replacement project. Very easily could have had the same gear on that bridge at some point. Mind you, both bridges were designed by the same company and the designs are very similar, so I don't know how that would play out legally. I tend to agree with Kyle though. Since that rendering is basically just a more detailed version of the Bridge logo - same perspective/angle - I suspect Bridge would have no issue coming after them if they used it as a logo.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:43 pm

BobbyOK wrote:
Jimmy wrote:Meh, similar, but Brightwood is clearly the MacDonald Bridge - it has the big lift gear in the pic.
Except Bridge Brewing is named for the Lion's Gate bridge - which was the previous "Big Lift" deck replacement project. Very easily could have had the same gear on that bridge at some point. Mind you, both bridges were designed by the same company and the designs are very similar, so I don't know how that would play out legally. I tend to agree with Kyle though. Since that rendering is basically just a more detailed version of the Bridge logo - same perspective/angle - I suspect Bridge would have no issue coming after them if they used it as a logo.
Not denying the similarity, but it's definitely the MacDonald. The gear used is similar but not exactly the same.

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Mon Jul 18, 2016 2:54 pm

Yes, clearly their drawing is of the MacDonald, I just wouldn't put it past Bridge Brewing to use the similarity to file a cease and desist.

B-boy
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brent Darbyson

Post by B-boy » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:47 pm

All brand infringements aside, has anyone tried the beer on offer yet?

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:16 pm

B-boy wrote:All brand infringements aside, has anyone tried the beer on offer yet?
Not I - but I hope to get to the market on Saturday to pick some up. A couple reviews on Untappd seem to suggest the IPA (only offering right now) is citrusy but on the sweet side, so maybe an underattenuated but hoppy offering?

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:40 pm

Grabbed some on Saturday. IPA was indeed citrusy, didn't come across as bitter as the advertised 70+ ibus, and if I had to guess, used some honey malt rather than crystal to give it some additional malt backbone. I say that partly because they used honey malt in their second offering - Smokey the Beer - a honey smoked ale that has ample smoke along with a pleasant honey character from the malt. No actual honey in this one.

We also chatted a bit about the drawing on the bottle. Part of their business will be supporting local artists, hence the artwork they use on their 750 ml ceramics and standard 1.6 l Growlers (they'll fill others so long as they're clean, and they'll take back their own bottles for a refund), but it was one of the brewers who did the bridge.

McGrail Ale
Name: Matt

Post by McGrail Ale » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Guys
Matt from Brightwood here, would love to get some feed back from the beer. Let me know if you liked it or not. Both me and Ian are originally homebrewers and I'm a long time creeper on this site, haven't really posted much. Anyways, love to get the brewnosers involved in what we are doing and chat about beer.

Regards
Matt

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:39 pm

McGrail Ale wrote:Hi Guys
Matt from Brightwood here, would love to get some feed back from the beer. Let me know if you liked it or not. Both me and Ian are originally homebrewers and I'm a long time creeper on this site, haven't really posted much. Anyways, love to get the brewnosers involved in what we are doing and chat about beer.

Regards
Matt
Welcome.

Are you guys currently on tap anywhere in HRM? Was out on the weekend, and hoping to see your beer at Stillwell or Stubborn Goat after seeing you post that you were at the market.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:35 pm

I had the IPA yesterday with Chris. I found it to be under attenuated, the hop flavors were good but could use more in the aromatics department. It was a decent beer but I feel like it can and will be better once you guys get things dialed in.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:30 pm

I'd love to try it. Let me know where I can pick it up. However this Tuesday is the monthly meeting. Might be a good opportunity to get some feedback from the club. Speaking of that I'm planning on attending this meeting.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

McGrail Ale

Post by McGrail Ale » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:02 pm

We were on tap in Battery Park with our Honey Smoked beer (Smokey the Beer). We'll try to be regulars on that tap and as our production ramps up hopefully we'll be on a couple others. We are at the Alderney Landing Market every Saturday doing growler fills, and we plan on being there regularly since that is our retail space. We are trying to improve our recipes, so feed back is welcomed and appreciated. Our AIPA is dry hopped and we do look to get a lot of aroma out of it, but we had some carbonation issues that we have resolved that probably fixed the issue Brian is talking about. Anyways enjoy and look forward to answering questions

Matt

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:58 am

Hey Matt, I tried your "Smokey the Beer" last week at BP. I found it quite heavy on the smoke - as in, I couldn't taste anything else as the smoke was overpowering. And it stayed with me for hours, if you know what I mean. I'd love to see it toned down a bit so that the smoke can play off of the other flavours of honey malt, etc.

Looking forward to trying your other brews. Cheers!

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:34 pm

Picked up a growler of the IPA on Saturday. Def had some carbonation issues as it was completely flat by the time I got it home. Had a nice aroma, but not much in the way of flavour or bitterness. Very thin and no finish. It was like a colourng book picture of a beer, the outline is there it just needs to be filled in
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

McGrail Ale

Post by McGrail Ale » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Hi
We've been having issues with the carbonation since it's our first time using a carb stone in a bright tank. We think we have the issued solved, higher pressure over long period of time. as our production increases we're allowing the beer to sit longer under pressure longer. As for the Smoke, I love the strong Smokey taste. but it does dissipate over time, so maybe a extra week of conditioning will allow this to happen. Maybe we'll send more conditioned kegs to BP in the near future

Matt

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:28 pm

As for the Smoke, I love the strong Smokey taste. but it does dissipate over time, so maybe a extra week of conditioning will allow this to happen. Maybe we'll send more conditioned kegs to BP in the near future
Could just be a matter of preference :) cheers

OntarioBeerkegs
Vendor
Vendor
Name: Patrick Walker

Post by OntarioBeerkegs » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:16 pm

McGrail Ale wrote:Hi
We've been having issues with the carbonation since it's our first time using a carb stone in a bright tank. We think we have the issued solved, higher pressure over long period of time. as our production increases we're allowing the beer to sit longer under pressure longer. As for the Smoke, I love the strong Smokey taste. but it does dissipate over time, so maybe a extra week of conditioning will allow this to happen. Maybe we'll send more conditioned kegs to BP in the near future

Matt

Carbonation can be a pain when have the pipeline is just in time or just yesterday. Easy thing to fix though:
http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Taprite_ ... 01-bct.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Beer Discussion”