Beer in the news

General beer chit chat
MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Re: Beer in the news

Post by MitchK » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:21 pm

mr x wrote:Molson Coors Canada Recreates 108-Year-Old Heritage Beer: John H.R Molson and Bros. 1908 Historic Pale Ale
Recipe was pulled from Molson Coors' archives, beer to be first in a series of historic launches

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/mo ... 38701.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

John H.R Molson and Bros. 1908 Historic Pale Ale is now available in 625ml and 341ml bottles wherever beer is sold.
I might have to actually try a beer with Molson on the label :lol:

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:45 am

I bought one and it was pretty good. Malty and hoppy, or quite unlike any Molson beer.

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by MitchK » Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:16 pm

Molson Coors, NOW WITH FLAVOR.

Do they have it at NSLC?

KB1138
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Kevin

Post by KB1138 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:29 am

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/malt-tea ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Local maltster opening
On tap: Hopped Mead, ESB, Schwazbier
Coming up: Altbier
Fermenting: Maibock
Planned: NEIPA, NZ Pils, Oyster Stout

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:21 pm

Decision coming down this morning in the NB alcohol border controls. Potential major implications for Provincial Liquor Boards. Expected to see appeals up to Supreme Court no matter how today's ruling comes down.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-bruns ... -1.3554908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:29 pm

Boom. Charges dismissed - go buy some beer in Quebec New Brunswick friends!

https://twitter.com/bridgetyard/status/ ... 7547001856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:38 pm

Surprised he won that case
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:29 pm

:dancingbanana:
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:43 am

I would have been shocked if he lost it, frankly.

McGruff
Name: Chris Storey

Post by McGruff » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:35 am

I bet it isn't over though. That guy sure had a big smile on his face, even though it was Bud.

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by MitchK » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:18 pm

I am trying the molson 1908 beer.

Not bad actually. Probably wouldn't buy it again, but that's more because I can get an equivalent product from a brewery I would rather support rather than it being a damning review of this particular beer.

wortly
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wortly » Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 am

https://www.agannex.com/production/ramb ... e-products

Potato beer. The chemistry makes sense. Anybody try this one?

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by MitchK » Fri May 20, 2016 2:41 pm

http://www.wpxi.com/news/new-ice-cream- ... /295733647" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please Asian markets - import this product.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Sun May 22, 2016 2:28 pm

http://www.cnet.com/news/dont-drink-and ... ald-eagle/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Thu May 26, 2016 11:22 am

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/brewpub-show ... witterfeed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Thu May 26, 2016 11:33 am

cheers for standing up for your employees...
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Thu May 26, 2016 2:12 pm

What's up with the cut against Metallica? Them's is fightin words wheres I comes from? lol :rocky: :pow:

BBrianBoogie
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BBrianBoogie » Thu May 26, 2016 4:37 pm

Hahaha, that's great. Well done social justice warriors :lol:
I hope the irony is not lost on everyone.

Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steve M

Post by Broob » Thu May 26, 2016 6:44 pm

Woody wrote:What's up with the cut against Metallica? Them's is fightin words wheres I comes from? lol :rocky: :pow:
I can see banning Nickleback shirts.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Thu May 26, 2016 7:50 pm

Broob wrote:
Woody wrote:What's up with the cut against Metallica? Them's is fightin words wheres I comes from? lol :rocky: :pow:
I can see banning Nickleback shirts.
Agreed! :D Next time I'm in Good Robot I'm wearing my Metallica Kill em All t-shirt.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Fri May 27, 2016 3:46 pm

BobbyOK wrote:Boom. Charges dismissed - go buy some beer in Quebec New Brunswick friends!

https://twitter.com/bridgetyard/status/ ... 7547001856" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The New Brunswick government will appeal a court ruling in April that effectively threw out limits on cross-border alcohol imports.

Judge Ronald LeBlanc tossed out all charges against Gerard Comeau, who was charged with illegally importing 14 cases of beer and three bottles of liquor from a Quebec border town in 2012.

Beer near the border in Quebec is about half the price charged in New Brunswick, but the Liquor Control Act prohibits anyone in New Brunswick from having more than 12 pints of beer that wasn’t purchased through a liquor store in the province.

The judge cited the words of Canada’s founders, saying they never intended that laws should blatantly block the free flow of goods within the new country.

But in its notice of appeal, the Crown says the judge erred in his legal interpretation of section 121 of the Constitution Act and his interpretation of section 134 of the Liquor Control Act.

No date has been set for the court to hear an appeal.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Toni
Name: Toni

Post by Toni » Sat May 28, 2016 8:53 am

mr x wrote:
BobbyOK wrote:Boom. Charges dismissed - go buy some beer in Quebec New Brunswick friends!

The New Brunswick government will appeal a court ruling in April that effectively threw out limits on cross-border alcohol imports.

Judge Ronald LeBlanc tossed out all charges against Gerard Comeau, who was charged with illegally importing 14 cases of beer and three bottles of liquor from a Quebec border town in 2012.

Beer near the border in Quebec is about half the price charged in New Brunswick, but the Liquor Control Act prohibits anyone in New Brunswick from having more than 12 pints of beer that wasn’t purchased through a liquor store in the province.

The judge cited the words of Canada’s founders, saying they never intended that laws should blatantly block the free flow of goods within the new country.

But in its notice of appeal, the Crown says the judge erred in his legal interpretation of section 121 of the Constitution Act and his interpretation of section 134 of the Liquor Control Act.

No date has been set for the court to hear an appeal.
Completely expected. The issue isn't really about alcohol. The group backing the guy is looking to remove restrictions on inter-provincial trade of ANY kind, which is a different beast. If the provincial limits on alcohol are deemed illegal, it sets a precedent for them. Of course, the alcohol restrictions are just a money grab by the NB government.

Just found an interesting link showing all the provinces' importation limits:

http://findlaw.ca/learn-about-the-law/c ... -province/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:44 am

Moosehead goes small.

http://huddle.today/moosehead-announces ... h-brewery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SAINT JOHN – Moosehead Breweries is planning to open a new small-batch brewery in the port city.
The project will commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Oland family brewing business in 2017 and will take about a year to complete.

“We don’t have all the details yet, but we wanted to share the news as we are starting to have discussions with property developers,” said Andrew Oland, president and CEO of Moosehead Breweries, in a release.

Moosehead’s Main Street West location will remain the company’s home base and main brewery. The new small-batch brewery – envisioned as a centre for education and innovation – will include two small-scale brewing systems, allowing the company to explore new product development and new brewing techniques.

“We see this new brewery as a way to continue to express and explore our passion for beer,” said Oland. “It will also allow us to connect with our customers and be an active participant in the local beer community.”

The project team is currently reviewing location options, with hopes of finding one in the city’s uptown. They’re looking to find a space of around 10,000 square feet that will accommodate various uses, including an open-concept brewery allowing for tours and training, a tap room, and a retail area for merchandise and beer sales.

“It is very exciting to imagine what this brewery could be,” says Oland. “Once we select the location, we’ll get down to detailed operational planning – deciding exactly what the brewery will have to offer, beyond the actual brewing, that is.”

Moosehead’s brewers will use the small-scale brewing systems to create a new series of small-batch brews that will be available for sale at the new brewery, at licensees, and at retail outlets.

“These days, beer drinkers are interested in experiencing not just new beer styles, but the beer-making process itself,” said Oland.

“This brewery will allow us to deliver on those experiences in a very meaningful and personal way. We can’t wait to get started.”

mcgster
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark McGraw

Post by mcgster » Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:31 pm

BobbyOK wrote:Moosehead goes small.

http://huddle.today/moosehead-announces ... h-brewery/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SAINT JOHN – Moosehead Breweries is planning to open a new small-batch brewery in the port city.
The project will commemorate the 150th anniversary of the Oland family brewing business in 2017 and will take about a year to complete.

“We don’t have all the details yet, but we wanted to share the news as we are starting to have discussions with property developers,” said Andrew Oland, president and CEO of Moosehead Breweries, in a release.

Moosehead’s Main Street West location will remain the company’s home base and main brewery. The new small-batch brewery – envisioned as a centre for education and innovation – will include two small-scale brewing systems, allowing the company to explore new product development and new brewing techniques.

“We see this new brewery as a way to continue to express and explore our passion for beer,” said Oland. “It will also allow us to connect with our customers and be an active participant in the local beer community.”

The project team is currently reviewing location options, with hopes of finding one in the city’s uptown. They’re looking to find a space of around 10,000 square feet that will accommodate various uses, including an open-concept brewery allowing for tours and training, a tap room, and a retail area for merchandise and beer sales.

“It is very exciting to imagine what this brewery could be,” says Oland. “Once we select the location, we’ll get down to detailed operational planning – deciding exactly what the brewery will have to offer, beyond the actual brewing, that is.”

Moosehead’s brewers will use the small-scale brewing systems to create a new series of small-batch brews that will be available for sale at the new brewery, at licensees, and at retail outlets.

“These days, beer drinkers are interested in experiencing not just new beer styles, but the beer-making process itself,” said Oland.

“This brewery will allow us to deliver on those experiences in a very meaningful and personal way. We can’t wait to get started.”
I'm surprised it took this long given how well received their VERY small cask program was. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. Clearly they aren't able to brew proper craft beer on their macro setup, but maybe they can pull of some good beer with a dedicated craft system.

BobbyOK
Verified User
Verified User

Post by BobbyOK » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:34 pm

Looks like Keith's is too. And the first beer is only a couple weeks away.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/nova ... -1.3611563" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alexander Keith's Brewery in Halifax is hoping to tap into the growing craft beer market. It has brought in a new brewmaster to create some small-batch brews made with local flavours.

"What we are doing here and what my privilege is, is to really play around, find any ingredient I think would be interesting in a beer and go ahead and try a couple of small batches," said brewmaster Stephan Gagliardi in an interview Wednesday at the Lower Water Street location.

"And if it works and everybody is on board ... I'll brew it on the large scale."

First ale ready June 16

Gagliardi's first creation, called Cornerstone Edinburgh Pale Ale, will launch June 16. He describes it as an English-style pale ale with a Scottish twist. It is made with golden promise malt, which he said gives it "a rounder flavour and a sweeter edge."

In a news release, the brewery said seasonal and limited edition beers crafted at the brewery will be sold in kegs, growlers, 650 ml bottles and six-pack bottles. New brews will be unveiled throughout the year.

When asked if the brewery is concerned these new brews will cut into its already existing market, Gagliardi said they are just trying to give current customers another experience.

"Then if anybody else want to try it and fall in love with the brand, that will be a bonus as well," he said

Return to “General Beer Discussion”